As the 3 HP turns... '63 3HP starts with choke out - choke in = DEATH

wask

So had the 3HP out for the first time tonight, had it running in a trashcan and it seemed ok, but not sure if I actually pushed the choke in or if it was out the whole time. (first time I've owned an outboard, lame I know)

Put it on the boat tonight, hoping to do a test run a little fishing in the local river.

The motor starts fine with the magneto on start, then with the choke out I can swing it to fast and it runs fine, choke still out.

When I push the choke in, it sounds like it is going to turn into a champ and take off and then if fizzles, sort of coughs and dies.

I would think, and I'm not mechanic or even really knowledgable, but either it is a carb problem or could the mix be wrong?

Or could it be something else?

Is it a really hard thing to do?

It seems like a pretty simple motor but if it's too hard, I'll consider taking it in.

Yup!... starved for fuel= nasty carb!!!

If you don't have carb experience it should only cost you $35-$50 at a good marine repair place.

Does the ball collapse ... or go soft ... have you tried pumping the ball when you give it gas ... could also be a problem with the fuel line/tank/pump valve ... its amazing how often the motor is fine its the tank/fuel line that are the cause of the problem ....

My tank is on the motor. So... I don't think I have access to any of that...

Does the ball collapse ... or go soft ... have you tried pumping the ball when you give it gas ... could also be a problem with the fuel line/tank/pump valve ... its amazing how often the motor is fine its the tank/fuel line that are the cause of the problem ....

Go to your local NAPA dealer and get a can of seafoam. Mix it about 2oz/liter of gas, and let it burn that for a while. Take it for a good long ride at full throttle. That will clean A LOT of crap out of your fuel system. Be prepared to see a lot of smoke.

S.

Set your air?

Sorry, not sure what that means.

I don't think I can adjust that on this motor though...

Definitely a fuel/air problem. Either your air setting is way too high or you are starving for fuel. Clean the carbs good including the jets, set your air and check your float height etc.