Lake Of A Million Walleye ~ Northern Ontario Fly In Adventure

solopaddler

We had arrived at the airbase with our spirits running high.

Enroute we'd seen a bit of wildlife which was cool and a sure sign we were getting further north.

Anjigaming005.jpg

Anjigaming007.jpg

Anjigaming009.jpg

For myself it was the 29th fly in I've done over the years. Old hat you'd think, but the prospect of lots of fish and a lake all to yourself never gets tired.

Dave and Jeremy had flown in the bush before as well, but not to an outpost camp.

This was a first for Bill and his excitement was contagious.

We quickly unloaded our gear on the dock at the float plane base:

Anjigaming2009003.jpg

Then Bill took a few moments to sort through his selection of pike lures.

"What'ya think guys?"

Anjigaming2009005.jpg

After a bit of a wait we quickly loaded the Otter and were off:

Anjigaming050.jpg

Anjigaming035.jpg

As usual the view from the air was amazing:

Anjigaming038.jpg

Anjigaming030.jpg

Anjigaming2009010.jpg

Anjigaming048.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

Although unfinished and a bit basic our cabin was fairly new and served our purposes perfectly: A place to crash after fishing hard all day long:

Anjigaming2009043.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

One major bonus was an outdoor shower complete with hot and cold running water.

Pure luxury after a long day in the boat!

Anjigaming097.jpg

Anjigaming100.jpg

Anjigaming101.jpg

After unloading the plane the pilot quickly walked us through what we needed to know and left us to our own devices:

Anjigaming2009021.jpg

Alone on a fish filled lake for the next 5 days, does it get any better? :)

We quickly unpacked, rigged up our rods and got the boats ready. We had flown in late in the afternoon and had just enough time for a quick fish before nightfall.

We all piled into two boats and were off making a beeline for a small island right across from our camp.

One rod rigged with a crankbait to troll as we prospected the lake, another rod rigged with a jig to be used when we found the fish...

It didn't take long to get into fish. :)

Anjigaming2009022.jpg

Anjigaming2009025.jpg

Anjigaming2009024.jpg

Anjigaming2009033.jpg

Anjigaming2009028.jpg

Anjigaming2009030.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

Jeremy managed the largest eye our first evening a long skinny 26"er:

IMG_1013.jpg

What a fantastic start! While overall they weren't huge fish we caught a ridiculous amount in a short period of time and kept a limit of 4 for sandwiches the next day. :)

Anjigaming2009026.jpg

The next day dawned cloudy, warm and calm, perfect for fishing.

Anjigaming2009032.jpg

There was an adjacent back lake that we all had our eyes on, but today we'd planned on working our lake thouroughly.

The action picked up right where we left off the previous evening. Non stop action on smallish to med sized walleyes and hammer handle pike.

At one point Dave actually did hook an enormous pike while jigging for walleye. It eventually smoked him and he never did see it but it was huge...

We caught fish every which way possible: trolling harnesses and cranks, live bait rigs, drifting and backtrolling with jigs....it all worked. B)

Anjigaming2009027.jpg

Anjigaming2009034.jpg

Anjigaming2009038.jpg

Anjigaming2009037.jpg

Anjigaming2009035.jpg

Anjigaming2009073.jpg

This time we kept a few for dinner with Dave doing the slicing and dicing:

Anjigaming2009042.jpg

Now as mentioned there was a nearby back lake that had us intrigued. The fishing was fine on our lake but the allure of near virgin water and a lust for exploration proved irresistable.

The 2 lakes were connected by a swampy log choked creek and the next day we began our ascent into the unknown:

Anjigaming2009046.jpg

Anjigaming2009048.jpg

Anjigaming2009049.jpg

Things were going swimmingly up to this point. We had traversed one low beaver dam with zero difficulty and then things started to get tougher....

Anjigaming2009050.jpg

Anjigaming2009051.jpg

Very soon we were faced with this :lol: :

Anjigaming2009055.jpg

I'm not going to sugar coat it....it was tough slogging!

It took all 4 of us to push, pull and drag one boat at a time up and over an enourmous log jam and through a shallow rock garden with almost no water flow..

Anjigaming2009126.jpg

Anjigaming2009052.jpg

Anjigaming2009053.jpg

Anjigaming2009054.jpg

Finally success!

The creek opened up again and we were able to navigate under power.

Anjigaming2009056.jpg

The creek opened out into one of the nicest little lakes I've ever seen. A shoreline ringed with rock, it was extremely deep for its size, structure filled and crystal clear.

Anjigaming2009057.jpg

Initially we began our assault at the south end of the lake. A small creek entered here followed by the only shallow weedy flat in the entire lake.

Casting a variety of spoons we caught a bunch of small pike:

Anjigaming2009059.jpg

Anjigaming2009060.jpg

Anjigaming2009062.jpg

With the depth of the lake we began to troll the rocky shoreline picking up a fish here and there finally ending up in a huge bay at the north end. The wind was piling into it dead on...a definite walleye chop.

Bill started the festivities banging several in row on a yellow 5 of diamonds spoon. The fish were definitely

aggressive! :lol:

Anjigaming2009064.jpg

Anjigaming2009066.jpg

Anjigaming2009068.jpg

Anjigaming2009070.jpg

I finally managed to get one, a decent little eye:

Anjigaming2009072.jpg

Then followed that up with this hog on the jig. Felt like I set the hook on a finned bowling ball with this one! :lol:

Anjigaming2009078.jpg

What was amazing about these walleyes besides their size and numbers was their colouration. They had normal gold body colours but all of their fins were tinged with a bright blue hue.

Not sure if you can see it, but I tried to take a couple of closeups:

Anjigaming2009074.jpg

Anjigaming074.jpg

The balance of the day was possibly one of the best walleye days I've ever had. It was impossible to keep count they were too numerous.

Continued....

The enslaught continued unabated.

In between walleye Dave managed this larger than average sized esox. (Can you tell he's happy? :lol: )

IMG_1045.jpg

Without trying to get overly redundant here's a few more highlights from our remarkable day:

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

Anjigaming2009079.jpg

Anjigaming2009081.jpg

Anjigaming2009083.jpg

Anjigaming2009085.jpg

Anjigaming2009087.jpg

Anjigaming2009089.jpg

Anjigaming2009091.jpg

Anjigaming2009094.jpg

We had numerous doubles.

Some were more average sized...

Anjigaming2009098.jpg

Some, well some were ummm... a bit bigger. :)

Anjigaming2009112.jpg

Anjigaming2009102.jpg

Anjigaming2009104.jpg

Anjigaming2009105.jpg

I was handling so many fish my hands started to cramp up. This one ended up in Bills lap LOL!

Anjigaming2009108.jpg

Anjigaming2009117.jpg

Anjigaming2009118.jpg

Anjigaming2009120.jpg

What can I say except it was totally EPIC! :lol:

We arrived back at camp super late that day, probably around 9pm, tired but elated.

Jeremy, young and full of energy treated us all to a late night fish fry. Having guided in northwestern Ontario the lad has done this before and it was like watching a maestro at work. :)

Anjigaming2009134.jpg

Anjigaming2009136.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

Actually he treated everyone except Billy. Billy as some of you know is allergic to fish.

Here's my dinner next to Bills: :D

Anjigaming2009139.jpg

After our incredible day in the back lake we had no desire to fish anywhere else and the next 2 days were almost carbon copies of the first.

I started things off with another monster:

Anjigaming2009143.jpg

Anjigaming2009144.jpg

And of course the release....

Anjigaming2009150.jpg

Once again Davey fluked off another decent pike:

IMG_1078.jpg

At one point I needed to stretch and asked Bill to drop me off an a small island. Not surprisingly I picked off a bunch on foot: B)

Anjigaming2009165.jpg

Anjigaming2009166.jpg

It really was non stop insanity: :P

Anjigaming2009151.jpg

Anjigaming2009152.jpg

Anjigaming2009155.jpg

Anjigaming2009157.jpg

Anjigaming2009161.jpg

At one point Bill hooked a decent 'eye and as is often the case a large pike chased his fish down and grabbed it.

We almost managed to net both, but the big pike finally let go just as we dipped the net:

Anjigaming086.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

Not long afterwards Bill managed a brute walleye of his own. 30 3/4" long (might as well call it 31" LOL!).

(Yes he was a happy camper. :) )

Anjigaming070.jpg

Anjigaming071.jpg

Anjigaming073.jpg

And the enslaught continued...

Anjigaming077.jpg

Anjigaming079.jpg

Anjigaming080.jpg

Anjigaming085.jpg

Anjigaming091.jpg

Anjigaming093.jpg

These fish would hit anything didn't matter what you threw.

Bill even managed one on an oversized Grandma: (And I mean the lure not the family member :lol: )

Anjigaming095.jpg

Our last day on the lake we once again fished late, getting in as much as we could before the plane picked us up the next morning.

We were cut, beat up, tired and sore and couldn't have been happier!

It was a perfect evening as we motored back across the lake our fishing over..

Anjigaming058.jpg

We were all in a happy daze.

Jeremy was at the tiller of the 2nd boat cruising along when suddenly he jumps up and yells incoherently:

Anjigaming059.jpg

Yeah baby what a trip!

Awesome report, pics and fish Mike :thumbsup_anim:

WOW you guys definitely got rewarded big time on the back lake B)

You got to love it when you can hook into a multitude of quality fish like that :w00t:

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! and great job!

Leechman

Wow that is a great report and the pictures were awesome. Sounds like a dream trip you guys had, can't really get any better then that. How were the bugs when you guys had to drag the boat between the lakes? I can imagine it was horrible.

The bugs weren't too bad on the portage - though the mosquitoes back at camp at dusk were brutal. BBQ'ing or cleaning fish at that time of day was not fun. The worst thing about the portage was the treacherous footing in the creek while pulling the boat and lugging gear - it's a wonder that none of us rolled an ankle. Mike and I commented that it would have been nice to have our wading boots along for better traction.

The bugs weren't too bad on the portage - though the mosquitoes back at camp at dusk were brutal. BBQ'ing or cleaning fish at that time of day was not fun. The worst thing about the portage was the treacherous footing in the creek while pulling the boat and lugging gear - it's a wonder that none of us rolled an ankle. Mike and I commented that it would have been nice to have our wading boots along for better traction.

I thought I was going to break an ankle wearing those boots without the inserts... Crazy....

Definitely a treacherous walk, although jumping the logs was the best part :)

A great account of our trip bud (as usual)! That trip will be tough to top...until the next one!

This week back at work has been a tough one - my head is still somewhere up there amoung the lakes and forest.

You're right about the next one bud, are you in or what? :)

And yeah work has been tough this week....great trip!

I thought I was going to break an ankle wearing those boots without the inserts... Crazy....

Definitely a treacherous walk, although jumping the logs was the best part :)

Yeah it was trecherous for everyone except Jeremy.

I honestly don't know how the lad did it. He skipped through that rock garden like a leprechaun through a rose garden with the motor over his shoulder LOL!

(Getting old sucks! :angry::lol: )

Thanks for all the great comments everyone, glad you enjoyed!

Edited by solopaddler