This is gonna be interesting

tjsa

Decided to buy a baitcaster rod and reel. From everything I have heard and read on this board, went with a Curado 200E7(for the reel), and a Shimano 6'6 IM-6 Graphite 2 piece, medium heavy fast action rod(my choice, not board recommended).

I have always enjoyed catching bass, and eating them, but they were almost always incidental catches, never specifically targeted. My bud never really got into them, .........until a couple of years ago......now he loves catching them. He just bought a 14.5 deep and wide Triton with a 40 hp Yami, and just had a bow mount installed, TILLER OF COURSE!!!!! He does release them, but I do like eating them.

So, going fishing tomorrow, and decided to pick up a bass outfit. Now, the last time I had a baitcaster(20 yrs ago) the experience did not go too well, but that was way back when, old technology, one handed pistol grip Ugly Stik rod and I think a Shimano reel. I failed miserably with it, and sold it 10 or so yrs. ago. I may get the chance to try to figure it out today in the back yard, but most likely I will let my bud tune it up for me tomorrow on the water, and to give me instructions.

Any tips for use would be appreciated, I have my 7 ft. Compre with spinning reel for backup if I get flustered, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

001.jpg

007.jpg

004.jpg

nice choice with the curado. i started with bell sinkers in my driveway. the boat might not be the best place to learn. try to match your line with your intended lures. start by setting the magnet to the weight you are practising with, then make further and further casts, slowly releasing the spool magnets until you are freewheeling. keep practising with progressively lighter weights. sidearm seems much easier in the beginning than overhand. i find braided line to nest up less than mono, plus a good screwup and the mono will get severed in the nest, braid wont. just my experiences - good luck.

Alright, thanks for the info gentlemen, and the links Danbo, now what knot do I use to fasten the line onto the reel spool should I use. I am a spinning reel fisherman, I got's that covered, this is new to me?

ya definitely a good idea bringing a spinning rod as back up when that extremely nice setup goes flying into the lake hahaha! just keep trying it, i've been using mine off and one this season and i finally got a good feel for it and starting to feel confident with it.

ya definitely a good idea bringing a spinning rod as back up when that extremely nice setup goes flying into the lake hahaha! just keep trying it, i've been using mine off and one this season and i finally got a good feel for it and starting to feel confident with it.

Ain't now way, NO WAY, this is gonna end up in the lake, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Glen, thanks for the knot response, have heard of the Arbor knot, just never needed to use it before, reel is spooled up with 20 lb. flourocarbon now.

I did pick up a couple of Zara Spooks and spinnerbaits today also.

Its kinda tough teaching a walleye guy new tricks.

Edited by tjsa

Yeah Roy, but, since its going to be used tomorrow, and there were no left hand retrieve reels in stock, just gonna have to go with the flow. If its a serious issue with me, I will change it up. I AM a left hand retrieve reeler with my spinning reels and downrigger reels, and every other reel I own. This baitcasting stuff is new to me, will see how it goes.

And Glen, thanks for the knot response, have heard of the Arbor knot, just never needed to use it before, reel is spooled up with 20 lb. flourocarbon now.

I did pick up a couple of Zara Spooks and spinnerbaits today also.

Forget the Spooks if you spooled with flouro Tom, topwater is the only application where fluro shouldn't be used... it will inhibit the action... I'm serious.

I use the arbor knot on all my reels... spinning, baitcasting, deep sea.

Forget the Spooks if you spooled with flouro Tom, topwater is the only application where fluro shouldn't be used... it will inhibit the action... I'm serious.

I use the arbor knot on all my reels... spinning, baitcasting, deep sea.

I am totally new to this game Glen, the flouro is gonna have to suffice for now, topwater , or otherwater, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah Roy, but, since its going to be used tomorrow, and there were no left hand retrieve reels in stock, just gonna have to go with the flow. If its a serious issue with me, I will change it up. I AM a left hand retrieve reeler with my spinning reels and downrigger reels, and every other reel I own. This baitcasting stuff is new to me, will see how it goes.

It don't make no nevermind. I started with a lefty, bought and used a righty, and other than a slight adjustment period I like both. I'm not even sure which is my good side any more. Mebbe neither. :P

Got a Quantum Something -or-other (iridescent) for the left side and a little bitty Calcutta for the nuther side. I really liked the Calcutta righty while I wuz using it (with frogs) but after some practice time with a light weight I'm cool with the lefty as well. Baitcasters are fun. I think I like 'em better than spinning reels except when the lure is way too lite.

JF

Edited by JohnF

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Thanks Henry, I did see that video yesterday, but it didn't work for me(yet). Didn't use the setup until the afternoon. Forecast was for winds 5kmh from the north in the morning, SW kmh is the aft. It was blowing 15 kmh out of the west all day, and sometimes up to 20 kmh. So, I used my spinning rod until the early afternoon. Then we went back down lake and found a more sheltered area. Time to try it. Had my bud set it up, and first cast, slight overrun. No biggie though. He reminded me to start with a sideways cast with an upturn at the end. That did it, it sailed out a nice long distance and I stopped the spool just before it hit the water.

Timing is everything with this type of fishing. I did have a few backlashes, which I got out in 2 or so minutes. But the last one did it in for my new combo. We came across a nice boulder reef. My bud was backing us away from it, and I saw a nice deep area beyond it within my casting distance.

Hit the release, loaded up, then thrust forward to release the spool just as I heard my bud say "WOAH!!!!!!"

Snagged his line, thought I had room, and released the spool. Lure went all of 10 ft., and I probably now have 30 ft. or more all tangled up, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spent about 10 or so mintues before giving up, and will untangle it tomorrow. We were ending our day anyway at this spot.

Did manage to catch 2 smallmouth on it though, nothing big, but did get a nice one on a Chug Bug off of a big boulder. The bite was tough today, we hit spots my bud did with another bud last weekend, and only a couple of fish from these places compared to last weekend when they probably caught 30 or more, but it was a lot calmer last weekend and they could hit more specific spots on all the reefs.

Glen, the Clarus is still working great though, even with my cheapo 45 buck spinning reel on it. It is a tapered reel though.

Nice setup Tom but the handle's on the wrong side of the reel. You might want to bring it back to them to have them rectify the problem.

Yeah, it was a bit of a learning curve today with that, but I was getting better at it, until the blunder at the end of the day. I will stick with it though, my bud has reeled left handed all his life with spinning reels and out salmon trolling levelwinds also, but he got used to it.

I have same reel, Curado 207E lefty.

It is a good reel. Just chose a line like PowerPro 30Lb and use the thumb to avoid bird-nest.

Try the cast in your backyard with a sinker. Will help.

Before to cast adjust the break. The spool should stop when sinker hit the ground in a free fall.