Fishing for PIKE on Cannon Lake

michaelkovacs

Hi all....

I'm headed up to my wife's family's cottage near Bancroft on a SMALL lake called Cannon Lake (near the town of Maynooth). The lake is maybe 1.5km long, and 800m wide, but that's just a guess. The lake used to be used to transport logs in the area by floating them down the small river that feeds the lake. Now, the lake has a TON of sunken logs, which has created a very dark, clouded look to the water. I've always done well fishing bass in that lake around the weed beds, even pulling in some decent 2pounders. I always seem to catch small pike as well (a lot in the 23-28" range). My best success is with a med. spinnerbait with worm trailer.

My question to you is, if I want to give the centre of the lake, where there is a channel that runs from one end of the lake the next, and is approx. 20' deep, what would you suggest I use, given how unclear the water is? Perhaps jig with some brighter jigheads? Troll with small metalic=coloured spoons?

Thanks!!!

Mike

well i say troll with maybe a wobbler or williams whitefish, the bigger the spoon the bigger the pike. alot of the bigger pike get caught by trolling spoons. maybe just try a bucktail.....

oh and i always get good size pike when i troll a worm harness for 'eyes.

Edited by bigredneck

crankbaits work wonders on pike, x-raps, husky jerks, thundersticks. im unsure of the lake and what the water type is and the type of bait fish in there, i'd get a few "natural" and get a few bright coloured ones and find out which ones go to what depths and pick the ones for what depth you want to fish. this past weekend i was fishing for pike and i was casting shallowing diving x-raps and thundersticks in 30feet of water and decent pized were coming up from the depths for them.