rod/reel info/opinions

pike slayer

hey guys, this spring i ordered a cabelas fish eagle 7'medium/heavy rod and the daiwa megaforce reel, and well the megaforce is a pile and the gears are messed up in it and i highly dont recommend it. So i called cabelas and i'm thinking an exchance/upgrade to the shimano citica reel and i wanted to get opinions on this before i get another turd of a reel. i know its not a curado but thats a little out of my price range. also that fish eagle rod is a great quality rod!!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...t20285&rid=

also i picked up one of them shimano bob izumi signature 6'6" spinning rods which i also really like and really broke it in one the weekend getting 57 decent pike between me and my buddy, but what i'm wondering what kind of warrenty does it have? theres no piece of paper that comes with it like other shimano rods.

Edited by worm dangler

I've got a Citica "Bantam" that's about 10 years old and still works alright. The reel has seen better days but I still use it almost daily. I've beaten it up pretty good over the years, it was the reel I learned how to baitcast with. I don't know how similar the new ones are to mine, but overall, a pretty good, tough reel for the money.

I would spend the extra few bucks and go with a Revo S from Abu ! I think the quality of gears and braking are a little better in this real over the Citca. I looked at Citcas before I bought my Abu... I dont think ill buy anything over Abu garcia !

I have the SX( was looking at the S but I got the SX for a crazy price...$108 ) and the difference between a cheap baitcaster and a quality one are crazy.... i never believed it till I tried it ! casting, drag, braking.... all come together in a quality reel !

I'm no bait casting master, mostly spinning unless I'm throwing something heavy, but I have a mid level Shimano and it is great. It is the Cardiff now, although mine is called something different pretty sure it is the same reel.

One of my friends uses and completely abuses a Shimano Curado and he loves it and it never misses a beat.

i have 2 citica's and they are great reels for the price. im not a fan of shimano at all, but i needed a new reel and the price was rite so i grabbed one this spring. a week and a half later, i picked up another one. having said that, the revo's from abu garcia are great reels too, i picked up a revo premier off ebay for a ridiculously good price, and about 2 weeks later picked up the revo S. u cant go wrong with the revo S or the citica. go mount them both on the rod u have, and see which one feels better to u and go with that one. eithyer way, u wont be disappointed my friend

I picked up a citica this year, left hand retrieve. I have it on a 7'0" MH st. croix and LOVE IT. I'm kickig myself for fighting with <100$ reels, since I started using the citica I cannot go back. I fish for mostly pike and walleye. Rain, sun, wind whatever. This thing is a dream and I plan on picking another one up next year.