Good day yesterday *pics*

steverowbotham

Yesterday Kelli and I made stop 3 on our Bass Pro Employee tournament series. We fished Balsam Lake, and with a busy schedule had no time to prefish. I have actually not been on Balsam since last September, so with the wacky water temps this year, I had a few ideas, but the 25k winds out of the west kind of ruined those plans. Went to plan B and started on a sand flat in about 6 feet of water. I started with a popper, but after Kelli put 4 smallies in the boat in 20 minutes on a fluke, I made the change. We landed almost 30 smallies by 11am, but most were in the 1 - 1.5 pond range with only a couple 2 pounders. We were having fun, but it wasnt going to win the tournament by any means. We made a move to some deep weeds and pulled out the heavy gear. I started throwing a 5/8 oz jig into thick weeds in about 8 feet of water. Within minutes I slammed a 5/0 hook into a solid fish and put a 4+ pounder in the livewell. A few 12-13 inch fish followed, no help. With about 20 minutes left in the day I got a 2.5 pounder on the jig and that added almost a pound to our weight.

We caught over 40 fish today, but only 1 good fish. We weighed about 13 pounds and placed 3rd. We also took Big Fish honours with a 4.34 pound largie. Tough day all around it seemed with the winners weighing just 14.54 pounds.

6729_134634758091_502843091_3261489_6794496_n.jpg

Awesome work Steve & Kelli :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats on the 4.3Lbs largie :clapping: Must of give you a good fight!!!

Finishing 3rd is quite an accomplishment but most of all... you guys had fun and that is what's all about :canadian:

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!!!

Leechman

Didnt really allow it to lol. With the small limit we had, I had that fish in the boat within 5 seconds of hooking her, no net, just craned in QUICKLY. Gotta love heavy braid!

Right on Steve!!! Yes braid is one tough line and I can see her doing 90 degrees upward and into your boat B)

Leechman