VHF Radio

John

it depends on what/where you want to use it

if you are only going to use it in one boat, then a fix mount is the way to go

but if you want to use it in other boats or at home or on the ice, a portable is the way to go, you can buy a portable with just as many features as a fixed mount, you can buy a amplifier to get top watts if needed and most important of all is the antenna. It is really what makes or breaks a radio the better the antenna the better the radio will work and there is an adapter so your handheld hooks up to a fixed mount antenna

Thanks guys...as I only intend to use it in the one boat, it seems that I am going fixed mount.

Any brands to avoid? Who can steer me in the right direction as far as antenna choice?

Driftwood, nice install job......now you just need to replace that LMS 350A unit with a HDS unit.

P. S. a steering wheel would also be helpful..... :D

An HDS 10 with side imaging is in the future (maybe with next years income tax refund)

I got a wheel, it's Italian and it's purdy. :lol:

new2.jpg

fixed base John,

Emil and I were stranded out on Erie due to motor problems...

couldn't reach guys making their run in with my little handheld...

make sure you get your ROC card, they are cracking down on it now...

did you have a full size fix mount antenna or just the rubber ducky antenna

any radio is only as good as it's antenna

Just wondering about proximity to your compass ... one of the boater card questions made reference to VHF interfering with compass ... have you had any trouble with that on your setup Drifter ?

It did on my compass but I have a compensation adjustment on the compass that corrected most of the problem.

Just wondering about proximity to your compass ... one of the boater card questions made reference to VHF interfering with compass ... have you had any trouble with that on your setup Drifter ?

Adjustments on the compas took care of it.

With my antenna being so close to my depthfinder it really messes with it during transmitting.

One of these days I'll relocate the antenna, maybe when install my new finder. ;)