For centerpiners: what type of backplate

okumasheffield

For centerpiners: what type of backplate  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of backplate do you prefer?

• Solid backplate with no holes
    • With holes
    • Do not know. havent had that problem
    • It doesnt matter. You are paranoid

Hi all,

I noticed that I always get some sands in my Okuma Sheffield after every outing no

matter how careful I am.

No, I dont put reels on the ground and I always put it in the pouch even just walking from

point A to point B ... wonder how it is possible

Do you think centerpins with sold backplate have less chance to have such a problem?

Edited by Okuma-Sheffield

Ported backplates have never been a hindrance. In fact their lighter weight is a big plus.

As far as sand and grit go...the reels are meant to be fished not babied. If any debris does get in via the backplate a quick shake and spin underwater takes care of the problem.

It's only an issue when the temps dip below freezing. If you dunk your reel in minus temps it'll freeze solid so you've got to be extra careful...

I'm SO NEW to this type of fishing - I have no idea what's going on! What the heck is a backplate? (I assume its solid looking?)

Is it something you can 'BUY' to ADD to the floatreel/centrepin?

Or is it a specific STYLE of Floatreel/Centerpin?

I'm such a n00bie to this fishing style! :dunno::worthy::unsure:

I apologize it I sound really noobi3 - but I have this stupid willingness to want to learn more about this style of fishing...

Anyway, this is my floatreel.... stupid question? but this is considered Backplated? :dunno: :dunno:

MatrixbyRavenReelShimanoConvergence.jpg

MatrixbyRavenReelShimanoConverge-1.jpg

I'm SO NEW to this type of fishing - I have no idea what's going on! What the heck is a backplate?

It's literally the backside of the reel...In your case, it's the piece of metal with the word MATRIX on it.

My islander has a ported backplate - Meaning there are holes drilled into the back of the reel

DSC_0175.jpg

As far as sand and grit go...the reels are meant to be fished not babied. If any debris does get in via the backplate a quick shake and spin underwater takes care of the problem.

It's only an issue when the temps dip below freezing. If you dunk your reel in minus temps it'll freeze solid so you've got to be extra careful...

Couldn't have said it better - basically a non-issue.

As a newb to float fishing, this drives me up the wall.

Bill, buy a blistex lip chap for two bucks and put it in the pocket of your vest.

Chap up the guides the night before and the morning of and say bye bye to iced up tips. It saves you from having to ask your buddy to suck on your er...tip?

Right Dave?

Ported backplates have never been a hindrance. In fact their lighter weight is a big plus.

yup but Mike I think Im giving up te long stick and drag free drifts and will ply the waters with these, I just need to make a decision on colors

HOTJRSC.jpg

lol

It's literally the backside of the reel...In your case, it's the piece of metal with the word MATRIX on it.

My islander has a ported backplate - Meaning there are holes drilled into the back of the reel

DSC_0175.jpg

Thanks MJL for clarifying such a n00bi3 question.... :D

or you could spend some money and get size 6 guides for the first 3 guides..then ice will not be a problem :D

Bill, buy a blistex lip chap for two bucks and put it in the pocket of your vest.

Chap up the guides the night before and the morning of and say bye bye to iced up tips. It saves you from having to ask your buddy to suck on your er...tip?

Right Dave?

or you could spend some money and get size 6 guides for the first 3 guides..then ice will not be a problem :D

I'd hate to rip apart my GL3 and Loomis IM6 in order to install new guides, lol

I think I'll give the chapstick idea a try!

You've got the right idea but not the right size. 6 is extremely small.

Most guys finish off their rods with 7's, to avoid ice 8's are a bit bigger...

You've got the right idea but not the right size. 6 is extremely small.

Most guys finish off their rods with 7's, to avoid ice 8's are a bit bigger...

Exactly right Mr. Mike and the job of replacing a few guides on the tip end is no biggy, Bill,

even on your Loomis'. :D