Best type rod for walk the dog technique

Dabluz

I guess the title says it all.

What type of rod would be the best for fishing with a surface lure "walk the dog" technique or surface poppers for pike (no bass where I live). Is it a long 7 or 8 foot medium action rod or a short 5 1/2 foot fast action rod or a long 7 foot fast action baitcast rod. Should the rod have a pistol grip or a longer handle?

The reason I am asking this is because I am presently using a 7 foot 1 piece fast action baitcast rod with a long handle for this technique but I can buy a 5 1/2 foot fast action 1 piece baitcast rod with a pistol grip.

Another thing.....I do a lot of fishing from a Sportspal canoe. I am sitting quite low when fishing from this canoe and the long handle seems a bit awkward sometimes. However, the long handle is great for striking the pike. I palm the reel so even a pistol grip allows me to use 2 hands to strike the fish.

Edited by Dabluz

7ft, medium weight, fast action casting rod :)

I was kind of hoping you would have said that a short fast action rod with a pistol grip would be better....lol. It would have been a great excuse to buy one. I may still buy it because I do not have such a rod in my arsenal. By the way.....when does a short fast action rod with a pistol grip come in handy? lol

By the way.....when does a short fast action rod with a pistol grip come in handy? lol

never! (i dont even know why they still bother making pistol grip rods. but that's another debate.)

unless it works for you.. and given that yours is a unique situation (fishing out of a canoe) do what's comfortable

Edited by Raf

I've been told to use a shorter rod, escpecially if your using baits where you walk the dog. It will allow you to get better action on the bait by lowering the tip down more. The advice was for someone who would be standing in a boat not sitting in a canoe.

Really anything would do though if you can't purchase a rod for each specific technique.

JFish

The rod I am speaking of is a Berkley Lightning rod, 1 piece, 5 1/2 foot, medium/heavy, fast action rod. I already have such a rod, 2 piece, 6 foot, medium/light, fast action with the same pistol grip. Works great with small lures (1/8 to 3/8 ounce). The rod only costs 30 dollars.

I've been told to use a shorter rod, escpecially if your using baits where you walk the dog. It will allow you to get better action on the bait by lowering the tip down more. The advice was for someone who would be standing in a boat not sitting in a canoe.

Really anything would do though if you can't purchase a rod for each specific technique.

JFish

Yes....I've been using my 7 foot 1 piece baitcast rod for this. The handle is not too long but I have been using it from my 12 foot aluminum boat that has a nice swivel chair.

I once used my pistol grip rod for casting for pike with swim baits one day. After about 8 hours of casting, I did experience a bit of discomfort in the hand holding the rod. I was using a lefty reel that day too. My right arm and hand were doing all the work. From now on, I think I will switch to a right handed baitcasting reel when I have to do a lot of casting. Or use both hands when casting.

Anyway, the 5 1/2 foot rod is really very light.

I'm pretty handy with a pistol grip. I'm an old timer and I used level wind reels before spinning reels were available. I palm my baitcasting reel and this gives me the space to use my second hand when striking and casting.

I don't have a short stiff rod anyway. 3 of my baitcasting rods are 7 to 8 1/2 feet long and the other ones are 6 1/2 feet long. I like long rods for sweeping type strikes and for adding action to lures during the retrieve or when trolling. Since I held that short Berkley Lightning rod....it felt so light and fast....I will buy it for sure.