Boaters Card

laszlo

Can someone please clear something up for me?

I was born in 1977

I am a Canadian resident

I usually rent a 17' boat with 25hp motor

Do I require a boaters card by the Sept. deadline???

I was just reading some info on this on a website and the details were very confusing.

Thanks

Laz

Can someone please clear something up for me?

I was born in 1977

I am a Canadian resident

I usually rent a 17' boat with 25hp motor

Do I require a boaters card by the Sept. deadline???

I was just reading some info on this on a website and the details were very confusing.

Thanks

Laz

As of September 15, 2009 all boaters will be required to have the Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft. There is no grandfather clause or age exemption – this law applies to all boaters. Powered watercraft includes watercraft fitted with any size motor – even a trolling motor.

My understanding is that you will.

It really makes sense to get it from what I've read. If you have it before the 15th, you have it for life. After the 15th and you have to renew every so often.

I am studying for mine now.

I did mine over the internet and it was all said and done in about 45 min. Printed a temp card and got one in the mail a few weeks later. Didnt bother studying since once you register and pay, you can attempt it once a day for a year if you fail.

But I did print out the study guide since there is alot of info to be learned.

Edited by LucG

As of September 15, 2009 all boaters will be required to have the Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft. There is no grandfather clause or age exemption – this law applies to all boaters. Powered watercraft includes watercraft fitted with any size motor – even a trolling motor.

This statement is not correct.

* All operators, proof of competency required on board by September 15, 2009.

Proof of competency can take 1 of 3 forms:

* proof of having successfully completed a boating safety course in Canada prior to April 1, 1999

* a pleasure craft operator card issued following the successful completion of a Transport Canada accredited test;

* a completed rental-boat safety checklist (for power-driven rental boats).

These references taken from the Transport Canada website & Safe Boating Guide TP 511E (01/2009).

Here's a link to Transport Canada's site re: Operators Card:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...operatorfaq.htm

As for courses after 15 Sep., 2009 requiring re certifications it is not mentioned by Transport Canada. No one who has mentioned this has yet to provide any reference that I've seen.

Laszlo: For rental boats you do not need a card.

Rick

Edited by Woodsman

do not[/b] need a card.

Rick

Thats because the card doesn't mean a lot and the rental operators would have had too much to say about the money grab if it affected their livlihood :o

Just my humble opinion

Edited by Dara

This statement is not correct.

* All operators, proof of competency required on board by September 15, 2009.

Proof of competency can take 1 of 3 forms:

* proof of having successfully completed a boating safety course in Canada prior to April 1, 1999

* a pleasure craft operator card issued following the successful completion of a Transport Canada accredited test;

* a completed rental-boat safety checklist (for power-driven rental boats).

These references taken from the Transport Canada website & Safe Boating Guide TP 511E (01/2009).

Here's a link to Transport Canada's site re: Operators Card:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...operatorfaq.htm

As for courses after 15 Sep., 2009 requiring re certifications it is not mentioned by Transport Canada. No one who has mentioned this has yet to provide any reference that I've seen.

Laszlo: For rental boats you do not need a card.

Rick

Thanks for the link Rick.

It seems to me that based on the questions he asked, he has not completed a boating safety course.

I have been at many marinas over the past year or so and have yet to see a completed rental boat safety checklist.

Get the darned operator card and be legal no matter what............saves all of the guesswork and interpretation.

Thanks for the link Rick.

It seems to me that based on the questions he asked, he has not completed a boating safety course.

I have been at many marinas over the past year or so and have yet to see a completed rental boat safety checklist.

Get the darned operator card and be legal no matter what............saves all of the guesswork and interpretation.

Although i agree getting the card is a great idea (but not required) what "saves all of the guesswork and interpretation" are you referring to? The language is clear. If a marina is failing to provide a properly completed rental-boat safety checklist they are in violation of the law & could also be held liable if the operator violated any boating laws. The check sheets includes things such as proper operation of the boats systems, safety gear, local hazards and operating rules. The operator gets a copy and the marina keeps a copy. Usually it is part of the rental agreement.

Last time I rented a boat 3 years ago on Lake Nipissing the camp owner properly filled out the checklist even when I didn't require it as proof of competency. It covers their butts.

Rick

Although i agree getting the card is a great idea (but not required) what "saves all of the guesswork and interpretation" are you referring to? The language is clear. If a marina is failing to provide a properly completed rental-boat safety checklist they are in violation of the law & could also be held liable if the operator violated any boating laws. The check sheets includes things such as proper operation of the boats systems, safety gear, local hazards and operating rules. The operator gets a copy and the marina keeps a copy. Usually it is part of the rental agreement.

Last time I rented a boat 3 years ago on Lake Nipissing the camp owner properly filled out the checklist even when I didn't require it as proof of competency. It covers their butts.

Rick

OK no prob Rick, you are of course technically correct, however HE is going to get nailed as well as the marina.

I did mine over the internet and it was all said and done in about 45 min. Printed a temp card and got one in the mail a few weeks later. Didnt bother studying since once you register and pay, you can attempt it once a day for a year if you fail.

But I did print out the study guide since there is alot of info to be learned.

Could you please post the info where you did it online and how much it cost you?

http://www.theoperatorcard.ca/

The ass inside me wanted to send this link : http://lmgtfy.com/?q=operator+card+ontario

Looks like they doubled the price now.

Here's the course providers database. http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/4/pcoc-ccep/search.asp

For those trying to get the card, beware of testing centers that are charging more than $30 unless they also teach a course before the test or they have a excellent reason why to charge more, ie advertised and group testing many people at the same time.

I called one place they were charging $50 when their website says they charge $30 at most.

Edited by Syn

Looks like they doubled the price now.

Here's the course providers database. http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/4/pcoc-ccep/search.asp

For those trying to get the card, beware of testing centers that are charging more than $30 unless they also teach a course before the test or they have a excellent reason why to charge more, ie advertised and group testing many people at the same time.

I called one place they were charging $50 when their website says they charge $30 at most.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...s/pcoc/menu.htm

That link tells you who offers the courses & card.

- No one offers just the card because you are supposed to pass a test, and how are you supposed to pass a "test" if there was no course/training.

- Companies that offer online tests at hire price give you the ability to print the card out and get it immediately.

- While the ones that are cost effective chances are you'll be waiting for the card from the ministry.

My in-law's paid $50 dollars each at the boat show, but the testing process was...give me 50 bucks, heres the test & a study guide! Please don't cheat ;) ;)

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...s/pcoc/menu.htm

That link tells you who offers the courses & card.

- No one offers just the card because you are supposed to pass a test, and how are you supposed to pass a "test" if there was no course/training.

- Companies that offer online tests at hire price give you the ability to print the card out and get it immediately.

- While the ones that are cost effective chances are you'll be waiting for the card from the ministry.

My in-law's paid $50 dollars each at the boat show, but the testing process was...give me 50 bucks, heres the test & a study guide! Please don't cheat ;) ;)

Maybe I did not phrase my last post clearly? When I wrote "For those trying to get the card..."

The only way to get the card is by passing the test. You can't just buy the card that defeats the whole purpose of having the card. I hope people did not somehow read "you can buy the card". I hope I made it perfectly clear now.

You can study the widely available info online before your write the test, or some testing centers like Bass pro offer a course before you write the test.

But some places say on their website they charge $30 to write the test (you study the info online free) but when I called their provider he wanted $50 even after I told him the website says $30. I then emailed the president and he was surprised that his test provider was asking for $50 and confirmed $30 for the test alone. I'm saying beware of the prices some people are taking advantage of us.

I can understand $50 at the boat show because it was likely advertised in boat show advertisements and also because they do testing for many people, sometimes groups of people at the same time.

All testing centers must give you a temporary card even a print out until your plastic card arrives. The temp card is fully valid to use.

Edited by Syn

I do not own a boat.

I always rent a boat which has all the necessary safety gear required by law.

So does this mean I don't need the boaters card???

Just give me the facts straight up.

Thanks Rick for the info but why are there a mix of opinions?

Laz

I do not own a boat.

Laz

Its a new process, we are discussing off topic but almost on topic! hahaha!

I believe someone said you don't need to get one when renting a boat. I haven't looked that up.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/

That website will be able to answer all your questions!

So reading through that site, I take it that tourists who stay less than 45 days do not need a card, or proof of competency. Is that how others understand it?

Only if they are operating a boat they own if you mean non-resident non Canadian tourists.

Rental boats they fall under the same rules as Canadians.

Borrowed or Canadian registered boats require proof of competency.

Thanks guys; just making sure I didn't need to do more paperwork before bring my tinny up.

........but what's next, a license to swim in public waters... :rolleyes:

I think requiring boater training is perfectly legitimate. There are far too many boaters who don't know the right of way rules, how to use the boat ramp, etc. I've taken several courses, but because I'm grandfathered in in Ohio, I've had no need to keep the paperwork easily locatable.

I do not own a boat.

Laz

As for operating a rental boat you do not need a card. Ensure you receive a completed rental checklist.

Getting a Pleasure Craft Operators Card is still the best option, which will also leave you with even more options such as borrowing a boat from a friend, or operating their boat as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Why are there a mix of opinions?

Opinions are like asses... Everyones got one.

My best advice is to research the official government links & publications then make your own informed decision.

Best Wishes: Rick

Thanks guys; just making sure I didn't need to do more paperwork before bring my tinny up.

Just ensure you have proof of residence on board with you at all times.

Also ensure your boat has the required safety equipment required by your home location regulations.

If you carry the safety equipment required in Canada it would probably be even more simple.

Rick