Canadian Lancaster Bomber visits North Bay

Jonny

Canadian Lancaster Bomber, one of only two still flying worldwide, on a 2 hour visit to the North Bay, Ontario airport, August 5, 2009, en route from Winnipeg to its home base in Hamilton. Definitely NF but so much a part of our heritage, and so impressive, I just had to share...

Probably the most famous Allied bomber of World War II, the Lancaster had impressive flying characteristics

and operational performance. The Lancaster was the RAF's only heavy bomber capable of carrying the 12,000-lb

Tallboy and 22,000-lb Grand Slam bombs. The aircraft demonstrated superbly its right to fame with the daring

and precise raids on the Ruhr dams in May 1943, and also the sinking of the German battleship Tirpitz in

November 1944.

Thousands of Canadian aircrew and other personnel served with the RCAF and RAF's Lancaster squadrons in England;

and thousands of Canadians at home worked at Victory Aircraft in Malton (Toronto), Ontario, where they produced

over 400 Lancaster Mk X's. In total, more than 7300 Lancasters rolled off the production lines in Britain and Canada.

Only two still fly.

The CWH Museum has dedicated its Mynarski Memorial Lancaster to the memory of Pilot Officer Andrew

Charles Mynarski, VC, of 419 (Moose) Squadron, 6 (RCAF) Group. Mynarski won 6 Group's only Victoria

Cross, the Commonwealth's highest award for gallantry in battle. On the night of 12/13 June 1944, his

Lancaster X was shot down by a Luftwafffe night fighter. As the bomber plunged earthwards, Mynarski,

his flying clothing afire, tried in vain to free his trapped rear gunner from the jammed rear turret.

Miraculously, the gunner lived to relate the story of Mynarski's bravery. Unfortunately, Mynarski

ied from his severe burns.

Quoted from:

http://www.warplane.com/pages/aircraft_lancaster.html

Details on Andrew Mynarski:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Charles_Mynarski

Details on Canadian Lancasters (from my personal site):

http://www.personainternet.com/hjtoby/lancast.html

I uploaded 3 video clips to youtube...

Clip 1 -

Clip 2 -

Clip 3 -

And these are a few of the photos I took...

Pic 1 -

P80500191024x768.jpg

Pic 2 -

P80500241024x768.jpg

Pic 3 -

P80500351024x768.jpg

Pic 4 -

P80500411024x768.jpg

Pic 5 - This old gentleman (veteran) was missing a leg and in a wheelchair, but was dressed for the occasion and proud to be there!

P80500391024x768.jpg

Edited by Jocko

I caught the notice in the North Bay Nugget (online) a couple of days ago, and my wife and I decided we couldn't miss it.

I figure there must have been almost a thousand people there.

and to think... during the war there were HUNDREADS of them flying over head ! I couldn't imagine the sound of those engines all rumbling together..... Even the sound of one Lancaster flying is awsome !

To bad I couldn't of been there ! Beautiful plane !

As Pikehunter said, all of us in Hamilton know that 'drone' and as soon as we hear it, run to a clearing and look up. Lucky to have it based here! It's really neat to see.

My Mom still talks about how incredible it was seeing( and hearing )hundreds in formation overhead when she was a little girl in Europe during the war.

I've been meaning to get down to see it. My uncle was a tailgunner in 'em. I'd like to see where he rode in real life.

As you would know, the Lancs flew at night. I included the picture of the tail turret because that's one of the hardest positions to imagine manning on the bomber. The space is incredibly small for a man wedged in between the quad .30's, bundled up in cold-weather gear for the freezing temperatures at 20,000 feet. It's hard to imagine 8+ hours shoe-horned into that small space, in the dark and the cold, isolated from the rest of the crew, peering out for something to shoot at and probably not seeing it until it shoots at you.

Edited by Jocko

Always my favourite plane growing up as a kid. used to go to the air shows at mount hope when i was younger with my dad and i was always found around that bomber.

i also used to make delieveries to mount hope and and got to be up close with the lancaster and other planes on a weekly basis. I could just shake my head every time i saw it sitting there with "Shell" gas logo on the tail fin. i know the purpose of it. but still,i cant wait for all the very rare war planes to become flying bilboards <_<

As you would know, the Lancs flew at night. I included the picture of the tail turret because that's one of the hardest positions to imagine manning on the bomber. The space is incredibly small for a man wedged in between the quad .30's, bundled up in cold-weather gear for the freezing temperatures at 20,000 feet. It's hard to imagine 8+ hours shoe-horned into that small space, in the dark and the cold, isolated from the rest of the crew, peering out for something to shoot at and probably not seeing it until it shoots at you.

My uncle didn't talk a lot about it and that's about the only thing he didn't talk a lot about, so I figgered it was a traumatic kind of experience. He told me a few stories though, and it sounded scary. Of course, he was only 17 when he enlisted so he was fearless, and immortal - then.

JF

Love the sound of those engines.

I knew growing up that my Grandfather was in the Air Force during the War but it wasn't until he passed away a few years ago that I learned he was a Tailgunner in a Lancaster.

During his funeral a story was told about his plane being shot down and only he and a few others survived the crash into water.

If you have members of your family that survived the war, make a point of talking to them about it. I never did but I wish I would have.

They may not be interested in talking about it until someone asks them.

Love the sound of those engines.

I knew growing up that my Grandfather was in the Air Force during the War but it wasn't until he passed away a few years ago that I learned he was a Tailgunner in a Lancaster.

During his funeral a story was told about his plane being shot down and only he and a few others survived the crash into water.

If you have members of your family that survived the war, make a point of talking to them about it. I never did but I wish I would have.

They may not be interested in talking about it until someone asks them.

I love talking to the Veterans

My grandpa wasn't IN the war.... he lived in the UK and when the war was on he was only about 5 years old.

We talk about the war all the time. When I was in college I used to come home every weekend and he would give me a ride back on sundays and that was usually the topic of conversation. He doesnt remember much because he was young but he studied it more than I did.... I think he could be a historian on the war !

He told me stories that he does remember and I just listen and try to put myself in his place. Crazy !

We went back to England last year for my grandparents 50th anniversary and my grandpa and I went to the imperial war museum and also we took a flight to poland and visited Auswich. Talk about a humbling experience ! We also visited the "Western Aproaches" which was the naval head quarters for the Allies during the war. There was some crazy things going on there aswell !

About an hour outside of Liverpool, there are HUGE HUGE warehouses..... They used to be the hangers where the Lancs were stationed during the war. I try to picture in my head the sight of the place when the war was on. The sight of hundreads of bombers just waiting for the moment to take off and fly over europe ! The feeling the boys musta felt when the time came to saddle up and go.... I can't even imagine !

I wish I could see the Lancaster fly as often as the hamilton folks do ! Its a Beaut !

I love talking to the Veterans

It's a shame that too many of those stories are lost.

The experiences of the ordinary person can add so much to the understanding of the history and the times.

Sadly enough, it was hard for a lot of the 'Old Sweats' to talk about what happened. You'd hear enough at the Legion at the passing of a "Comrade". The stories would also come out at "Weepers", and around Remembrance Day. Much of the details they wished they could forget and never would. Faces of the fallen that haunt them in their sleep as they relive a moment in some living hell.

Uncle Bob could never face Remembrance Day or visiting the Legion. Don't blame him considering his description of Ypres and gas attacks.

Great aitrcraft for sure -- always know when it is around when you her the roar of the merlin engines.

I am not sure the part about bomb load is correct. My dad crewed a Halifax in WWII and I know on one raid they tooka tall boy bomb .... the grand slam was definitely too big for the Halifax's bomb doors.

Cheers,

Mark

Canadian Lancaster Bomber, one of only two still flying worldwide, on a 2 hour visit to the North Bay, Ontario airport, August 5, 2009, en route from Winnipeg to its home base in Hamilton. Definitely NF but so much a part of our heritage, and so impressive, I just had to share...

Quoted from:

http://www.warplane.com/pages/aircraft_lancaster.html

Details on Andrew Mynarski:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Charles_Mynarski

Details on Canadian Lancasters (from my personal site):

http://www.personainternet.com/hjtoby/lancast.html

I uploaded 3 video clips to youtube...

Clip 1 -

Clip 2 -

Clip 3 -

And these are a few of the photos I took...

Pic 1 -

P80500191024x768.jpg

Pic 2 -

P80500241024x768.jpg

Pic 3 -

P80500351024x768.jpg

Pic 4 -

P80500411024x768.jpg

Pic 5 - This old gentleman (veteran) was missing a leg and in a wheelchair, but was dressed for the occasion and proud to be there!

P80500391024x768.jpg