Big Erie Bass

pikehunter

Headed down to Pt. Maitland this morning because of the great weather forecast. Launched at Mailand and went right out to my spot, after a 15 minute ride at 3/4 throttle my line was in the water. Soon as I sat back to relax a hit! I set the hook and began to fight one of Eries huge smallmouths. Off it went, 2 jumps in the air and it was in close to the boat. The line went loose, I felt a snap and tought for sure my 8 lb. line had snapped or the knot had failed. Neither, it had just thrown the hook and that was that, but it sure felt like a line break!

The bight this morning was fantastic, I just wish my wife had today off or my son hadn't had other plans because the bass were really putting on the feed bag. About 2 weeks ago we hit the same location and nothing, today though was terrific! I lost count of how many hits I had and lost several other nice ones as well.

One nice 17 1/2" bass did get boated after a pole bending and jumping battle. Unfortunately I forgot the camera but did have my cell phone camera handy. With the bouncing up and down in the waves and one handedly trying to get the camera option set up on the phone I managed to snap one picture of it still in the net resting in the water. After unhooking I took a measurement and noticed a tumor growing on the bottom side of the fish just near the gills. He swam away after being released to hopefully entertain someone again one day.

Here is the cell picture, after emailing to my computer, resizing and posted on Photobucket I hope it turns out OK.

bassupdated2.jpg

The sun reflecting off the water in and around the net is distracting, sorry about the poor quality.

OH Yeah!! I just remembered something. I saw something in the Grand River as I was trolling (later in the day after Erie fishing) and I was having a hard time to figure out what it could be. As I came closer I discovered it was small deer. It was swimming with only it's head out of the water. I think it got spooked and it took off to shore and climbed up on the bank and off into the bushes. It was a treat to see this on the lower Grand, I managed to get the cell camera out and got a really poor long distance picture but not worth even trying to post it.

Edited by pikehunter

Thats great news Harry, I'm heading there tomorrow. Doing some pre fishing for the Dofasco derby and the SLA Tour. May get a chance to get some Dollarama pictures if the rod and reel stays together :worthy: . Man that outfit looks pretty fragile :blush: , Only has about 50ft' of line on the reel :D