need help from the rod experts

bow slayer

This past weekend while taking the trash to the dump for my Dad in Lavigne,I spotted what seemed like a perfect fishing rod in the trash. So I made my way to it and grabbed it. It looked brand new,one piece baitcasting rod. To be more specific it was a 7ft Bill Dance Class IM6 Graphite med-heavy rod. I thought someone must have threw it out by mistake,what a bonus nice new rod for free. Well when I got back to my Dads I noticed the problem,the eyes of the rod are on the wrong side of the rod seat.So when the reel is sitting on the top side of the rod the eyes will be on the bottom. My question is is there any way I could fix this?Or is the only thing to do is tape the reel on the wrong side of the seat? thanks

I could add a pic if that would help.

Edited by bowslayer

Just get them re-wrapped. Un-rap and then re-rap.

You can do it yourself. People who build rods have to put the guides on. Get the "how to" info and you can do it.

I do not know of anyone in the GTA who will do it.

But, Mikes repair in BC will and can.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/rodrepairs.php

good luck - carp-starter

i think daniel m is on to something. at the end of this year quantum blew out their remaining accurist reels by matching them up with 7'6" bill dance baitcasters. you saved the tax, blah blah etc. but the end result was the rod was basically free with the reel. may explain it being in the garbage. good strong rod but heavy to fish with for any length of time. seems too simple but the handle/reel seat spins freely inside the shaft of the rod???

DanielM is right - looks like a Telescopic rod to me too... Try holding the rod @ 90 Degree position... lift it up about 2ft off the ground, then drop it (while your hands are in an "O" shape, so not to drop the rod)... the top portion of the rod SHOULD collapse about 4-6" shorter.

I think you found a good thing.

I believe that this is a Flippin stick and it will telescope back into the handle about 14 - 18 inches.

This design dates from a time when rod lockers on Bass boats were only 6 feet long, so the longer Flippin stick had to be made to telescope down to six feet.

Hold the rod below the first guide and thump the end of the handle against the floor.

The top section of the rod is a tight fit, but it will slide back into the handle.

Edited by garry2rs

OK, it is a telescopic rod.

Count the tiles (4). Your handle is on tile 1, the telescopic joint is on tile 2 and the first line guide is on tile 3.

Grab your rod with both hands, one on the foregrip (handle, wood like thingy where you put the reel on, some people call this stuff cork.) Take your second hand and place it about 6 inches below the first line guide (a line guide is where you put your fishing line through to the tip of the rod, there should be several of them on a fishing rod), apply moderate pressure as you are twisting the rod at the same time. This will make the rod collapse inside each other. You can then relocate the line guides to the position you wish.