Boat questions

Guest nuker

Guest nuker

I have 2 questions:

1. what is boat listing

2. i'm about to buy a used boat. what steps do i need to take to make this go quickly and smoothly?

Things like, boat registration/licensing, trailer licensing/registration, insurance, taxes, inspections, etc.. my first time and not lookin to get screwed or overlook some legality.

it's a nice rig... princecraft! i went for a test ride with the owner and drove it too, but i have only driven a boat like that times in my life, and very briefly so i dont' know what to look for (or look out for).

Appreciate the help.

If your looking at buying a new boat use the search tool for this board. I went through this at the begining of the season and got tones of help from the guys on this board.

My advice: post the boat specks ie. length,width, make, year, motor hp and year and price aksed- Guys with a good idea of what the boat is realy worth will pipe in.

Take it to a marina for a good look over and compression test. If the current owner is not ok with that walk away.

This is a good start and im sure you will get the rest of your questions answered as they come up.

Edited by mistaredone

1. like hometownhandyman said... boat leans to 1 side due to weight distribution

2. Boat and Motor price and trailer price seperate on the reciept...

licencing, make sure to get the current pleasurecraft licence, if he doesn't have it, it'll be about $50 extra need to get an affadavit from

lawyers office

you'll pay tax on the boat switching the licence in your name, you'll pay tax on the trailer getting it in your name and plates...

make sure he signs the ownership (green paper) of trailer and plates(if applicable)

insurance - not required, but you should get it due to liability/theft....

Make sure you keep all your purchase & transfer receipts including those for the taxes you paid. Myself and many others have paid all the taxes required only to have the province 2 years later demand we pay taxes owing. Without proof I paid the taxes I would have had to pay again. :angry:

Rick

Guest nuker

is there a downloadable form or something somewhere the provides receipts/bill of sale for the boat/motor and trailer? i thought maybe there was a info pack similar to private used car sales.

is the tax based on wholesale or receipt price? the seller won't modify the sale price on the receipt for me.

it's a 2004 princecraft super pro 186 platinum with 150 merc optimax. $23K

i'm putting together a checklist of things for the seller and myself to have ready. neither of us really know all the details involved.

appreciate the help!

• 2 weeks later...

i went to transfer the ownership of the trailer at MTO today. I told them i just bought a boat with trailer and the lady immediately said to me they only deal with the trailer. ok then.

so she asked how much the trailer was. i gave her a price off the top of my head, nice and low. paid, got the reciept and she said that i will present that to service canada when transfereing license for the boat.

she did not ask to see bill of sale or ask any information about the boat.

did i get away with something or am i in for a surprise when i go to service canada?