Need to replace my bearings but I think I have an odd axle

evster

I noticed this weekend that the inside of the rim on one side of my trailer is getting some grease on it and that the hub was slightly warm after trailering for a while. So I think its time to replace the bearings. This will be the first time replacing the bearings on this trailer for me as i've only had it for a little while. I am a bit concerned about whether I can get the proper bearings for it because the axle is different from most I see. Most axles I see are a single bar and the hub and bearing goes over the stop on the end of the axle. This axle has two bars that are connected to a plate at the end, the plate has a hole in the middle of it with a cylinder through it. The hub then goes into this cylinder. Not sure if my explanation will help, i'm trying my best to describe it. Basically when you look at the hub spinning from the inside it looks like it is just sitting in this cylinder. It doesn't look like there is any stub for the hub to go on.

Does this make sense? Has anyone seen this kind of axle/hub system before? Can I just use normal bearings for this?

Thanks for any help.

Take a pic Evan and post it,if you can.

As for the bearings,if you have a Canadian bearing store near by,just take the bearing to them.You will also require axle seals.Thats why you are most likely seeing grease at the back.

Remember to really pack the new bearings.Theres a trick to doing this.I usually put a good gob of grease in the palm of my hand and wipe/roll the bearing threw it.This pre greases them.When tightening the crown nut,dont over tighten it.

Dont forget the bearing buddies,and dont buy the plastic ones.Thier cheap and crap.

Edited by misfish

Your bearings are most likely OK, but your inside seal is gone. Its not really that bad, it just allows water in your bearings, which can/will result in rust to your bearings, causing them to fail. I just did mine about a month ago for the same reason.

I have no idea about your axle/hub set up though, a picture would make it much easier.

s.

I'm also considering looking into a whole new axle and everything, because I have also noticed that one of the hubs has a slight wobble to it so i'm wondering if the axle or hub or something is a bit bent. I think I can get a whole axle and hub assembly for like 150 bucks. I just need to measure it up and see what a new one would cost me.

That wobble may be bad bearings...

Ok, thanks. I'm going to look into the prices of everything and then go from there. I'm pretty much 100% sure the bearings need to be changed though since the one hub gets warm after about an hour on the highway, and the other side is still cold.