Lake O/Niagara River advice needed

rock34

Hello All,

I have a friend who is driving all the way from Alberta in a trailer with his boat. He is brining it here to go to a lake up north for two weeks. However before that he is going to be in St.Catherines for a week visiting family and has said that he would like to take his boat out in the Niagara River or Lake Ontario. This boat has no downriggers. Is there any option for us to chase some Salmon and/rainbow at either of these locations? I am not looking for "your spot" just some advice. Are Dipsey and Jet divers effective this time of year? Where could we launch from? Troll just spoons? etc.

I know many of you do very well on these waters and also dont want to give away any derby secrets. Feel free to PM me. Any help would be appreciated, this is a friend who has done a lot for me in our history and I would love to get him into some Ontario fish!

Cheers.

A lot of guys do better off dipsey's than riggers, straight spoons or more often a dodger/fly combo.

It should be noted that you really need dedicated gear for that kind of trolling, line counter reels with enough capacity, dipsey rods, and baits aren't exactly cheap with each rod pulling $50 of gear. If he wants to go catch a few chinooks it might be worth thinking about taking a charter instead of laying out all that cake just to go fishing for acouple of days.

Alternatively if you just want to get out for "anything" you could easily flatline deep diving body baits or spoons with trolling weights on them with walleye gear and pickup juvenile salmon and rainbows. There's plenty of those between Port Weller & Niagara Bar 70-150FOW.