Smelt.....where can i buy some???

Chugger

Anyone know where I can buy smelt in the GTA or anywhere along the drive from Toronto to Huntsville?

Been a slow year fishing wise for me, I'd go so far as to say this has been my worst year fishing to date....sad but true. So no pictures worth putting up, apologies....

Yeah, they do. Often it numerous sizes...

Although, I'm not too sure if its meant to be used "right out of the package"... cause it has preservatives in it, so it doesn't smell natural. (to me at least)

I've used them before in the past, never any success on it. I'm thinking there's some "step" that needs to be done, BEFORE its put on the hook. If anyone

knows of how to 'correctly' use these preserved baits, I'd like to know... Thanks in advance!

Your welcome Chugger! :D

Discount grocery stores like Food Basics, No Frills and Price Chopper should carry frozen bag of lake smelt. I've seen them at no frills just recently.

FWIW we use the 6-8" frozen sticklebacks and sardines from the grocery store all winter for lakers up that way. Keeps the little guys off your line. When you do get a hit it's always a little bigger fish.