Facebook

Jonny

I just got this from a friend yesterday, so I post it here for facebook users, who seem to be many...

"FACEBOOK has agreed to let third party advertisers use your posted pictures WITHOUT your permission."

I don't use facebook much anyway, but I deleted all pictures from facebook except the "signature" picture. I don't agree with that kind of policy. If it's true, it sounds like a dumb move on their part.

...Even if you delete pictures off Facebook - They still have their own copies of your pictures on their servers.

I've been wanting to delete my Facebook account too because of that - Still don't know why I haven't yet. :P

Deleting your account wont work either ! hahah no matter what, your imbedded in the world wide web for life.

The way I see it, there isnt much on my facebook I dont want others to see... and if I delete it, it wont change anything other than I wont be able to log into it.... Dont worrie about it much... I guess the chances of a company using YOUR pics or info are as good as winning the big $35,000,000 tonight !

Thankfully you can opt out from it. Here is how:

Click on SETTINGS up at the top where you see the Log out link.

Select PRIVACY. Then select NEWSFEEDS and WALL.

Select the tab that reads FACEBOOK ADS.

There is a drop down box, select NO ONE. Then SAVE your changes

PS. I do not have a facebook account, but my wife does. I will be sure to let her know.

Edited by TC1OZ

there was a topic on this on a local radio show last week......one story involved a couple who discovered one of their pics on a "hot singles looking for you" banner on another website. I guess the husband was surfing, and their was one of these dating banners or pop ups that came up, and his wifes picture was on the banner. Just swiped it from facebook, threw her on their banner as a hot single looking for single guys in her area lol. The husband noticed it was one of her facebook pics, they figured it all out and were laughing about it. I dont know if it'd be that funny if the husband wasnt so trustworthy or figured out what had happened however.

there was a topic on this on a local radio show last week......one story involved a couple who discovered one of their pics on a "hot singles looking for you" banner on another website. I guess the husband was surfing, and their was one of these dating banners or pop ups that came up, and his wifes picture was on the banner. Just swiped it from facebook, threw her on their banner as a hot single looking for single guys in her area lol. The husband noticed it was one of her facebook pics, they figured it all out and were laughing about it. I dont know if it'd be that funny if the husband wasnt so trustworthy or figured out what had happened however.

So thats why I saw my GFs pic on that dating site last night..... :unsure:

This sort of thing is common.

In almost all cases, you are given the option of opting out as indicated by others above, or else formally warned in the form of an agreement [e.g. Facebook warns you before signing up for 3rd party applications]

If you didn't have your privacy settings set as above, anyone could have reached your photos via a (rather clever) Google search and used them however they please. Your best bet in this world, if these sorts of things are REALLY an issue to you, is to completely read about the services you're going to use. You can't agree to do something and then plead ignorance when the service doesn't work how you thought it did, having your knowledge based on what you've only heard or inferred.

I find it more true in electronic business these days that the customer isn't always right, and this is generally due to a lack of research.

/rant

I find it more true in electronic business these days that the customer isn't always right, and this is generally due to a lack of research.

Thus why clicking "I agree" without reading isn't always the best idea.

Ignorance is not a defense when you have already agreed to the terms that you are having issues with.

You'd be surprised at how common this is. Many websites that allow you to upload photos utilizes language that essentially gives them full rights and ownership of that material. Most people just dont pay attention to the Terms and Conditions. For example, this was taken from the Terms & Conditions of a well-known photo processing company/site...

In order for us to transmit your photos to "X" Photo Corporation and / or "X" Photo Corporation for fulfillment, we need the right to make use of all content on the service (in accordance with and subject to the following) You grant to the Web Site and its service providers and licensees a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, unrestricted, world-wide right and license to access, use, copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, display, perform, communicate to the public, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, and otherwise use such Materials (in whole or in part) in connection with the Service, using any form, media or technology now known or later developed, without providing compensation to you or any other person, without any liability to you or any other person, and free from any obligation of confidence or other duties on the part of the Web Site or its service providers solely for the purpose of providing the service;

As was explained to me once, this language is required to allow them to take the material you've uploaded and actually complete the service that you've requested - i.e. make prints. However, as you can see, the language is quite liberal. While the likelyhood is slim to none that they'd act on these rights and simply sell your photo to a 3rd party, if it were to happen, it doesn't sound like anyone would have much recourse.

Obviously this doesn't include people who just skim through sites copying pictures at will.

Best bet if you're going to upload photos - keep them small and at low resolution (i.e. 72 ppi)

I always assumed that any photos or info that I posted on Facebook was there for the whole world to see and that once posted, I'd have no control over who uses the content or in what capacity it is used. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being a little foolish. If you don't want the world seeing a certain picture...don't post it on Facebook, of all places.

Thankfully you can opt out from it. Here is how:

PS. I do not have a facebook account, but my wife does. I will be sure to let her know.

You can't do this anymore. Facebook has blocked the drop down box with "NO ONE" on it. They explain that the rumour is wrong and the only thing you can click on is "help" or an explanation why the rumour is wrong. The other thing you can click is close.

Tom

You can't do this anymore. Facebook has blocked the drop down box with "NO ONE" on it. They explain that the rumour is wrong and the only thing you can click on is "help" or an explanation why the rumour is wrong. The other thing you can click is close.

Tom

Just close that pop-up window and the settings page is there for you to make changes.

Some (if not a lot) of people use "Mozilla Firefox" now.... I think that's what TC10Z meant.

That's got me curious, I wonder what BROWSERS most OFC'ers use.... I use Google Chrome and Firefox. (I switch from time to time)

privacyd.jpg

(same post, just added the image for the non-believers, I just logged into my wifes account and used paint to make a screen shot)

Here is how:

Edited by TC1OZ

That's got me curious, I wonder what BROWSERS most OFC'ers use.... I use Google Chrome and Firefox. (I switch from time to time)

I've used Firefox for years now. It absolutely blows Internet Explorer out of the water. Never could figure out why IE is such a piece of junk, and worse now than it used to be.

I'm aware that pictures you post to the internet are not "secure"; I was just surprised that facebook would actually share them actively as a matter of policy.

privacyd.jpg

(same post, just added the image for the non-believers, I just logged into my wifes account and used paint to make a screen shot)

Here is how:

I guess that is one way of getting a person to use Internet Explorer. I am not a big user of facebook and seldom even log in. I use firefox and have never had a problem of accessing anything on facebook until now. Must be one of those IE fixes.

Tom

Edited by Overcast

I guess that is one way of getting a person to use Internet Explorer. I am not a big user of facebook and seldom even log in. I use firefox and have never had a problem of accessing anything on facebook until now. Must be one of those IE fixes.

Tom

(I do not use facebook nor do I use IE)

I took those screen shots in Chrome.

Its all in the code! Maybe you need to update your Firefox manually?

***Just checked my home PC (where I'm typing this) and its Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13, worked just like the SS.

It does not matter what website you go on. Privacy on the internet is an illusion. The web crawlers index every pic and post everywhere. Do not post an image you don't want the whole world to see...simple.

Get a GMail account, use Firefox and remember that Google sees all.

But also keep in mind there are billions, if not trillions of posts, images and assorted stuff on the internet...so your stuff ain't that special :)