Flipped my canoe while fishing

hoot33

So I was fishing two days ago with a friend of mine, the water in the river was peaceful with a slow current, he decided to change a lure and made one wrong move. With a full OPEN tackle box and three rods we went tumbling into the river. I swam over frantically and closed my tackle box before swimming the flooded canoe to shore.

After figuring out my cell phone and digital camera were now toast we paddled back to camp to change and have some hot coffee.

The following is a picture of my tackle box when we got back to shore.

sqcvpnbf7068q5egcal_thumb.jpg

And the worst part is we didnt even get a bite. :(

One time when I was young my dad and I were fishing from a canoe. He snagged an underwater branch, when we got over to it we both took a peak to see how bad the snag was, next thing you know we were in the water. It happens so fast. Lickily we had out tackle boxes closed and tied to the canoe and neither of us dropped our rods, but I could see it becoming a very costly experience. You'll look back and laugh, but it sure aint fun at the time!

He is 100% correct. All electrical items are allowed to get wet, its just when there is active power the water can cause traces to cross/connect to places they shouldn't, thus frying something.

Let it sit for at least 48 hours, and if possible set it in a pile of rice when drying!!

dang!

the worst feeling is when the canoe hangs on a 180 before going right over! all you can do is look for the valuable stuff and hold on tight! lol

oddly enough, most guys drown from the canoe when they flip and the canoe bonks them on the head on the way down...

could've been worse!

pics working for me lol.

Ya im looking back and laughing already, after the trip to telus for a new phone, future shop for a new digital camera and the bank for all new cards lol.

Didnt lose any rods or tacklre though, bonus i guess lol.

you can save your cell phone if you don't try turning it on, just let it sit and dry for a couple days. Worked for me when I took the plunge in March.

we've tipped the canoe before too, no good.

Take the battery out of the phone and let it dry for a good week or two... keep the back off... and put a small fan on it..

I tipped a canoe once while fighting a bass. I basically realized what was happening and rolled out before it flipped completely, leaving all the tackle safely inside. Caught the bass treading water. I'd suggest to anyone to keep their cell phone and camera in Ziploc bags when on the water.

I flipped my 12 ft tinny 2 yrs ago cost me alot of money .my camera was toast$237.oo dig scale $42.00 net $32.00

Found my tackle box .few.......................

My rod was wrapped around my oar and I was wearing my PFD.

Thankfully digi camera's have come down in price.

Look on the bright side no one drowned.

Welcome and I feel your pain, I was fishing with a brand new rod in July on a pier and a sheephead grabbed it and almost took it, if the butt had not of bounced so the rod handle when up when it hit the corroded part of the pier it would have been gone. It wasn't even a day old.

So I thought to myself, ummmm self, you should use the old rod next time. I did and after fishing for about 30 minutes a wave washed over the end and took that rod over the edge.... The look on everyone's face when I ran my rather large out of shape butt about 25 feet swooped down and grabbed it from mid air was priceless. So stuff happens fast when you are fishing even on shore.

Also, because of your post EVERYONE got another lesson on what to do with wet electronics!!! So you have done the board a service on your first post.

Yer a mean ol' bugger!... but I like that!!! ;)

The navy did the same thing to us when we did our small craft training. Got us out in the lifeboat and then flipped 'er up. Your mission, right the boat and bring her dockside. A whaler is no small boat.

I'm not an expert but while canoeing I've always taught my kids, Scouts, Guides, friends kids or any one that I was with to kneel down when you canoe your centre of gravity lowers & I've never tipped a canoe except for teaching purposes, mostly Scouts, Guides & youth leaders at a couple local camps over the years, 5 gallon pails work great for keeping things dry & safe tie them to the canoe & enjoy the time on the water. You can go places with a canoe or kayak you can't get with anything else, Glad everyone was OK, Life jackets are a good idea

Richard