What does it mean to "wake" a lure

bigzinc10

Im not sure either... but I will venture an educated guess....

I know there are such things as "wake baits" that stay JUST below the surface creating a bit of a wake as you bring it in.... now I would say you can get the same affect with certain lures that will allow you to keep them just below the surface.....

Dont hold me to it though ! haha

I could be wrong...but it sounds like running your bait (especially a spinner of some sort) just under the surface. Usually referred to as "bulging" your bait. Leaves a wake in it's trail.

I think a lot of us were using this technique before it actually had a name.

I know that when I see fish busting bait on the surface, I like throwing a spinner and not only 'waking' it but speeding the retrieve so it hops out of the water every now and again. I really believe it increases my strikes.

Edited by Mike Pike

You guys are all wrong. It's the little get-together that you and your friends have after you lose a favourite lure. Close friends gather to have a few drinks and remember the life and times of the missing lure. Unlike the lure's funeral, the lure's wake is intended to be a celebration of life, where food and drink are consumed in large ammounts and joyful memories of the recently departed are recounted.

:P:lol:;):)

lol Fishnwire!

It is indeed reeling your bait just under the surface to create a wake. Doesn't necessarily have to be a fast retrieve, keep your rod tip up and begin reeling the split second the bait hits the water and you can pull it off a little slower. Also a good technique for hard baits.. jointed Rapala J9 or J11 reeled in that way is pretty tough to beat for big old bass, pike, & musky!

Haha jokes!!

You guys are all wrong. It's the little get-together that you and your friends have after you lose a favourite lure. Close friends gather to have a few drinks and remember the life and times of the missing lure. Unlike the lure's funeral, the lure's wake is intended to be a celebration of life, where food and drink are consumed in large ammounts and joyful memories of the recently departed are recounted.

:P:lol:;):)

There are lots of specific wakebaits that can be retrieved really slowly. Mann's 1-minus, Stormsub wart, Bandit footloose, Xcalibur xw6, and Lucky craft but none of them work. Don't try them. Don't buy them on Ebay. They are terrible lures. No chance that any bass or pike would ever hit one. It is not exciting when you get blowup after blowup on surface lures.

Step away from the wakebait!!

:D