The Territorial Imperative

JohnF

This thing about territoriality has come up a few times here recently and for those of you who have the patience to struggle thru a pretty unexciting book, totally lacking in plot, but with lots of sex and violence, you might wanna try this baby.

http://www.ditext.com/ardrey/imperative/imperative.html

I first read it in university and have gone back to it a few times since. It goes a long way towards explaining some of the behaviours you recognize in animals and fish, and might help you in your frustrating and humiliating quest to outwit a critter with a brain smaller than your fingernail (and that's the more advanced ones). :P

JF

I actually still have my university copy (ca. 1969) with exactly that cover.

Good book.

I probably have the same one, except in one of her house makeovers my wife decreed that many of my books did not match the new colour scheme and were relegated to the crawlspace. I haven't dug 'em out yet. But your year is right.

JF

I actually just finished reading African Genesis.. The urge to assert exclusive possession over a territory, the drive possess and to protect what is one's own... pretty kewl stuff!!!

Hard to believe it was written by a self taught playwright... There's a piece explaining about the territorial behaviour of sticklebacks that is truly fascinating!

Puts a lot into perspective doesn't it??

Thanks John!

HD

Edited by Highdrifter