trolling method

HTHM

I was taught a new trolling method this weekend. Instead of steering with the electric, simply leave the electric stationary and steer with the tiller, using it as a rudder. I was very happy to learn this as I was having just the worst time trying to steer with the bowmount.

If this just basic stuff to you, are there any other methods of boat control that we inexperiened boaters can learn from you?

hth i think i heard about that thru the forum. i usually leave my outboard down when im on the electric, seems to reduce wandering and help boat position when drifting. but trying this steering thing was surprising, on long runs it works great! i dont troll much but on a lake where motors arent allowed this is a comfortable way to cross the lake, or when im sneaking into an area from a distance away. as far as speed goes rich i can get about 4-5 mph at 'top speed'.

You were trolling with a bow mount electric? Interesting idea to make it work.. but wasn't it too slow?

Thats all i use........gets me around great and i can go for quite a while with my 24V system. Havent pooped it out yet. Not ideal for windy conditions with a rough chop, but it suits me fine for pulling harnesses.

You were trolling with a bow mount electric? Interesting idea to make it work.. but wasn't it too slow?

As Blaque says, it works quite well, and is a lot easier on the wallet too. Also if you are trolling for pickeral one wants to go slow, right?

99% of my harness pulling is with the electric, using the tiller to steer. Works mint! Thats the only reason I love having a power drive electric motor. If I didn't do that so much, I'd have a cable steer.......the PD footpedals suck ass!!!!

S.

Duheeeee!!!! If i wanted to steer from the transom, that's where I'd have mounted the trolling motor eh???

The bowmount will give you more precise turns and corrections!!!

I steer the bowmount from the console with the wireless remote controll!!!! It has nearly infinite variable speed control (instead of 1-5 idiot mode), and will turn and backup on a dime!!!

Don't be a tree-tard, learn to use your bowmount!!!

.... btw, how did the lawn mower repair go HTHM???

so wait one sec, if I have a trolling moter that can be hooked to the bow (eventhough it's a transon mount unit) I can hook it up, fire it up to the speed I want and use my 8HP off the back end of the 14' tinny to steer? DANG if this works that well then I have to make some changes to good old "I'm the EYE catcher not her"

Not the same as electric, but when I use my 2 HP kicker for trolling, I crank it down tight so it won't move, then steer the boat with the 65 and the steering wheel.

The 2 HP sips gas compared to the 65 (will run forever on a quart of gas),and of course trolls slower.

I now ask as I have the minnkota with the var. speed adj. so I can run on setting 5 but be on 13% power when needed. and seeing how my sonar is mid boat I should have the length in power cab. to do so. Those windy days would be not a problem if this works like that for me...

I now ask as I have the minnkota with the var. speed adj. so I can run on setting 5 but be on 13% power when needed. and seeing how my sonar is mid boat I should have the length in power cab. to do so. Those windy days would be not a problem if this works like that for me...

Think wireless bowmount ya idgit galoot!!!

Duheeeee!!!! If i wanted to steer from the transom, that's where I'd have mounted the trolling motor eh???

The bowmount will give you more precise turns and corrections!!!

I steer the bowmount from the console with the wireless remote controll!!!! It has nearly infinite variable speed control (instead of 1-5 idiot mode), and will turn and backup on a dime!!!

Don't be a tree-tard, learn to use your bowmount!!!

.... btw, how did the lawn mower repair go HTHM???

The repair went very well, thanks! Cliff is a good man.

If I had a wireless bowmount it would be better than the footpedal, however I have to plead poverty and as my mother used to sy, "Sometimes, you just have to row with the oars you got".

Many pros have been using bowmounts for a few yrs to pull harnesses and slow troll cranks. I have not run out of power doing it this way with n 80# electric 24V. Most will not troll into the wind unless it is very light. 4 stroke kickers use very little gas and are quiet but the electric system is silent and with an "auto pilot" feature- you set it and forget get it. Just have to remember to look forward to watch out for things in front of you.

The power drive units are great for open water but if you are fishing currents and fighting boat wakes like we do on the Detroit River I find they don't respond as quick as needed. The best option for me is to have both, cable steer on the river and an auto pilot power drive for lake fishing.

MWC.jpg