Outboard motor tuneups?

splashhopper

I have started watching Kijiji for small boats(12-14ft) with a motor or a sq back canoe with motor.

If I end up with a tin boat, I my want a trailer, otherwise it will go on the roof of my van.( I think?)

Many of the listings in my price range( under 1500 complete) say the motor " runs but just needs a tuneup".

Assuming the motor isn't euchered, what is involved in a tuneup for an outboard motor and can I do one on these myself? I am fairly handy with a wrench.

What else should I be asking about with the motor?

If the boat is on land, how can i tell if it is leaking or not?

Thanks

Splashhopper

I just bought a small 12 footer.

guy seemed honest enough, went to his house to see it. not water tested and the price was right.

He'd be a fool to lie about the boat as I KNOW WHERE HE LIVES...

had to go by his word on the boat, which is ok.

I've got an older 1985-ish 6hp motor. all it needs is fresh gas and the oil changed every season, pull the plugs

and replace or clean 'em up, aside from that its pretty easy to maintain a small outboard.

mine fires right up after 2 or 3 pulls when I pull it out of the garage after a long cold winter.

small engines are pretty-much bulletproof.

good luck!

Oh man, I would run from anything like that unless I knew the person!

"just needs a tune-up" could mean anything from something minor to no compression! Small motors need compression in order to make fuel flow. for example. I know, I was fooled once by the later on an old Johnson 10 HP. Even running it in a drum is risky. If you can't open her up, you still won't know.

Be very careful!

Oh man, I would run from anything like that unless I knew the person!

"just needs a tune-up" could mean anything from something minor to no compression! Small motors need compression in order to make fuel flow. for example. I know, I was fooled once by the later on an old Johnson 10 HP. Even running it in a drum is risky. If you can't open her up, you still won't know.

Be very careful!

You took the words right out of my mouth RT2!

Needs a tune up prolly means the compression (rings and valves) is shot. Be very leery of this!!!

I wouldn't look at anything that doesn't say the motor runs good or great... and then still be cautious!

Buy a set of muffs (you're going to need them anyway) to take with you when you look at a motor and ask if you can crank it, a compression gauge would be a very good idea as well.

Take some screw drivers with you and ask if you can look at the dope in the foot, if it's cloudy/milky or has metal shavings in it run away!

I got burnt on my first motor and wished I had done these things... I hope this helps!

[

I wouldn't look at anything that doesn't say the motor runs good or great... and then still be cautious!

Buy a set of muffs (you're going to need them anyway) to take with you when you look at a motor and ask if you can crank it, a compression gauge would be a very good idea as well.

Take some screw drivers with you and ask if you can look at the dope in the foot, if it's cloudy/milky or has metal shavings in it run away!

I got burnt on my first motor and wished I had done these things... I hope this helps!

Muffs?

Foot? ,, being the end where the prop is attached?

Thanks again.

When I bought my boat, it never wanted to idle. When I mentioned it to the owner he said "it just needs a tune up". Sure enough I was replacing a VRO pump, and a bunch of other things and it still likes to cut out from time to time.