1963 3HP Johnson Outboard - VICTORY! - RUNNING!

wask

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a 63 Johnson 3 HP outboard. Put a deposit down on it so i could take it and have it checked out.

Hasn't been run in a 'few years'. Owner said probably 2 or 3 max, last time it ran it ran well he said.

So... I need somewhere in Peterborough to give it a once over. I've never owned one of these and instead of taking a chance on starting it and seizing it up, I'd rather just pay someone a half hours labour to do it.

Is there anyone in Peterborough that is reputable and won't soak me on it.

Paris Marine is just up Lakefield road... any thoughts?

Thanks

Wask

Edited by Wask

I have probably the same motor at home. After sitting in a garage for 16 years I filled it up and it started in 3 pulls. I don't think you have anything to worry about. You'll be charged an arm and a leg for a guy to start your motor in a bucket of water.

you'll probably pay as much as you did for the motor as you will

for a tune up and check-up.

pull the spark plugs, check the oil, perhaps runs some seafoam thru her

and it should be ok...if not THEN have it checked out....

Edited by sully

the beauty of the carborated engine is for the most part only two things can go wrong...no gas...no spark...like mentioned above check your plugs check your grounds and the oil mix....dump it in a bucket and giver a pull...a marina in belwood charged a buddy 200 bucks for a starting problem he had...turns out one of the bolts holding the starter wasn't getting a ground....25cents for the bolt $199.75 labour...thinking of changing careers!!!!!!!!!

for the 10 bucks its worth changing...undo the top screw not all the way but just eoungh you can hear air come out when you squeeze the new oil in from the bottom hole...tighten it back up when you see the oil come out...put in the bottom plug again and your in buisness

for the 10 bucks its worth changing...undo the top screw not all the way but just eoungh you can hear air come out when you squeeze the new oil in from the bottom hole...tighten it back up when you see the oil come out...put in the bottom plug again and your in buisness

Is there a type of lower unit lube better than the other? I assume whatever I buy at CDN Tire is as good as any... is that a correct assumption?

(Sorry to be such a noob about all of this)

Thanks for the help.

Once you get it started, depending how much water it's spitting, you might want to consider changing the impeller ... some people do say that you probably should just change it since it hasn't been used for so long though.

Yeah, on the motor itself it gives the ratio, it says 1/2 pint for every gallon of gas, whatever that works out to.

Think that is about 24:1 would depend on whether it is US or Imperial Measure, not the same as more recent motors.

.a marina in belwood charged a buddy 200 bucks for a starting problem he had...turns out one of the bolts holding the starter wasn't getting a ground....25cents for the bolt $199.75 labour...thinking of changing careers!!!!!!!!!

I left the Belwood/Fergus area in 1981. If you are referring to who I think you are, that guy was a crook 28 years ago. I still have family back home that way and am astonished every time someone mentions that they are still in business.

I can't help with any Peterboro locations but I have dealt with Buckeye marine in Bobcaygeon since I bought my first boat from them in 1998. They have always looked after me well. Can't tell you if there prices are high or low compared to others cause I never looked elsewhere because they have been good to me.

Over Lindsay way our own Big Cliff will probably be able to help you out. He's a straight shooting honest fellow who you can't go wrong with either.

Good luck with your "new toy"

The required lube for the lower end might also be 90 weight hypoid gear oil. Seems to me when I was a kid that what Dad's old green Johnson 5 1/2 used. The oil we mixed with gas was not the hi-tech certified for use at 100:1 ratio stuff, a lot of straight 30wt. got mixed around the farm in various small 2 cycle engines. I would think chain saw grade 2 cycle oil would be ok for this engine at that 16:1 ratio.

So, I stopped by Canadian Tire on the way home and picked up the outboard oil that I needed to mix and a gas can. Got two gallons, mixed in my 1/3 of a pint twice...

Pulled the cover off and cleaned the crud out and also pulled the plugs and took a look.

Eveything looked even better than expected (this motor looks mint on the outside and its 46 years old).

Put it in the trashcan full of water, fiddled with the choke a little then realized the gas valve wasn't open all the way.

The second full pull after I got the settings right it roared to life and purred like the kitten (or mountain lion) it was meant to be.

Everything looks great on it now, think it will be a great investment.

Thanks for all of the help guys and giving me the guts to just start it up in the old trash can.

Great, used one of those once on a square end canoe, good HP for that. The one I used had an integral tank and direct drive, no gear shift, always in gear, you had to be ready when it started cause you were on the move. Sure you will be happy, would move a 12 foot tin not too bad. Glad it turned out OK.

Sorry to come to the party late. I answered your PM.

The fuel mix is 24:1 using 87 octane gas to TC-W3 outboard motor oil. The original mix was determined using 30W motor oil. Using synthetic oil like Amsoil HPI will greatly reduce the smoke. This is a water cooled motor. Do not use air cooled 2 stroke oil (chainsaw oil).

90W hypoid gear oil is fine for the lower unit or use the lower unit oil you get at Canadian Tire. I use 80-90W synthetic gear oil in all my outboards because I get it for free.

Take a look at the coils. The coils of that vintage always bad even if they spark or run in a barrel. If they are the orginal coils they WILL fail on you. If they are original they will be cracked, sweaty and/or discoloured.

Seafoam is available at NAPA and Car Quest auto parts stores. CTC doesn't carry it.