Dollarama/Dollar Store Derby

TJQ

Finally got my D'rama special out for a workout and do some jigging. The jigs worked fine. One willing victim:

DSCN2732.jpg

DSCN2733.jpg

Unfortunately, there are 2 very large smallies with jigs stuck in their yaps. The line was far too brittle to hold a larger fish. I saw both. Almost had the one in the net.

The bamboo pole, wrapped in duct tape, held up quite well. The reel doesn't cast for snot.

The bamboo pole, wrapped in duct tape, held up quite well. The reel doesn't cast for snot.

I was wondering how you'd make out with your "home-made". After all that effort in trying to find stuff, and jury-rigging, you got yourself an entry. Good show! :)

Finely got to use my dollar tackle on Erie, My buddy thought you got to be kidding, I even bought that stuff. We had a laugh.

dol4.jpg

This has to be my fave pic so far this year. To most people it doesn't look like much, but if you own this set up (which I do) you will know how rediculous this is. lol. I love it!

Cudz

I hope it stands up today, Chasing Rainbows off 50 Pt. I think it will be the last time I see the rod. :D Will post verdict :stretcher:

I didn't get out on lake O, to rough :angry: , went to Erie, should have stayed home, no luck on the Walleye. Lost 1 at the boat.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Worked the D'rama special hard again. Ths smallies and gills really like them micro jigs they sell. I was having a ball jigging with the big cane pole. Had more than a couple of strange looks from folks passing by. Who cares I was catching a lot of fish.

DSCN2734.jpg

The biggest to be landed at 12 1/2"

DSCN2735.jpg

DSCN2736.jpg

Had another go at one of the big smallies, the old jig still stuck in the side of his face. I even though I had him beat but one last run and snap.

DSCN2738.jpg

Here's tomorrow's dinner guests.

DSCN2739.jpg

A good number more went back before my evening was done. Good thing I always have 2 or 3 rods with me when backpacking.

Edited by bigugli

I finally have an entry but with a bit of a tragic story.

I busted out the dollarama gear and I tried to cast a bit. Anyone who owns one of these reels knows that they don't cast worth a crap and they reel in the line even worse. At $2 per reel I feel somehow I got fleeced. Anyway, bad reel aside, I decided to troll one my baits that kind of looks like a little big O. It was doing well and I had a fish on but lost it. A few minutes later I got another hit and manged to land a 12.99" smallie. I don't think this combo can actually handle much more than that unless in the hands of a fishing Magician (TJ). My line was a mess and I ended up hand bombing the fish in for the last 10ft or so.

After landing the fish I was eager to get my nait back in the water but it would not run true. It kept surfacing behind the boat. The eye which connects to the line had come loose and made the bait spiral. I tried trolling my other lures but no luck. I had good intentions to start jigging when an unfortunate accident ended my dollarama dream. My reel broke apart.

Here are my pics. Two easy perch and I could have won this thing.

the setup

dollar1.jpg

The fish (note birds nest line)

dollar2.jpg

The measurement

dollar3.jpg

The carnage

dollar4.jpg

I finally have an entry but with a bit of a tragic story.

I busted out the dollarama gear and I tried to cast a bit. Anyone who owns one of these reels knows that they don't cast worth a crap and they reel in the line even worse. At $2 per reel I feel somehow I got fleeced. Anyway, bad reel aside, I decided to troll one my baits that kind of looks like a little big O. It was doing well and I had a fish on but lost it. A few minutes later I got another hit and manged to land a 12.99" smallie. I don't think this combo can actually handle much more than that unless in the hands of a fishing Magician (TJ). My line was a mess and I ended up hand bombing the fish in for the last 10ft or so.

After landing the fish I was eager to get my nait back in the water but it would not run true. It kept surfacing behind the boat. The eye which connects to the line had come loose and made the bait spiral. I tried trolling my other lures but no luck. I had good intentions to start jigging when an unfortunate accident ended my dollarama dream. My reel broke apart.

Here are my pics. Two easy perch and I could have won this thing.

the setup

dollar1.jpg

The fish (note birds nest line)

dollar2.jpg

The measurement

dollar3.jpg

The carnage

dollar4.jpg

lol, the birds nest and the last pic made me chuckle....lol good job on the bass :lol:

Well I gave one more kick at the can. I cannibalized the cane pole and still had a 44" pole to work with. So I strapped the reel onto it and headed to my little honey hole for some more jigging. the bass and blue gills really like the D'rama micro jigs. Lost a lot more using the short stick with absolutely no bend or flex. Pulled the hook out a few times.

DSCN2743-1.jpg

DSCN2745.jpg

My biggie of the evening

DSCN2744.jpg

Shortly after, my reel collapsed. The Plastic holding the bail wire snapped off, ending my D'rama adventure for good this time. Certainly a neat challenge.

So I ended up with 3 bass: 10", 12 1/2" , and another 12" tonight

Edited by bigugli

I was planning one more shot with the crap gear but it was too windy to get the boat out today.

So the reel gets thrown in the trash, the rod gets emergency status or given away, the baits I'll continue to use once in a while.

Don't matter if it's over, still going to rigger fish this excellent tackle :D and will post results. That is the fun part. With any luck it'll make Quinte :worthy::w00t:

Cudz

When will the second annual Dollarama be held :D:w00t:

Cudz, maybe you should get yourself some Dallorama Crazzzy Glue :D

Edited by Fish Farmer

Don't matter if it's over, still going to rigger fish this excellent tackle :D and will post results. That is the fun part. With any luck it'll make Quinte :worthy::w00t:

Cudz

When will the second annual Dollarama be held :D:w00t:

Cudz, maybe you should get yourself some Dallorama Crazzzy Glue :D

I am going to get another reel. I am going to get another lure as well. I want to catch a 4+ bass on the rig. I love the rigger pics. Youhave to ctch something. Be prepared to hand line it in though.

Here are the official unofficial result of the Dollarama Derby. It was a cut-throat tournament that went down to the wire. One agler ros above all others to claim the title. Congrats to Bigugli with a total of 34.5"!!! Congrats to T.J. Quesnel with the Big fish of the tournament a 15.5" smallmouth!

Lots of broken equipment and lots of should have could stories. Good job to those who actually participated and tried to catch fish on such qualiyt equpment. :lol:

Here are the results:

Fisherman - number of fish - total length

1. Bigugli 3 fish 34.5"

2. T.J. Quesnel 2 fish 25.5"

3. Fish Farmer 1 fish 13"

4. Cudz 1 fish 12.9"

5. Jocko 1 fish 12"

PS if there are any results I have missed or miscalculated let me know.

Had another go at one of the big smallies, the old jig still stuck in the side of his face. I even though I had him beat but one last run and snap.

DSCN2738.jpg

Weren't you worried about the tape invalidating the lifetime warrantee?

JF

Here are the official unofficial result of the Dollarama Derby.

Thanks for a great idea, Cudz. It generated a lot of interest and amusing comment. I thought it would generate a lot more entries as people rose to the sporting challenge, but maybe it wasn't so easy to forsake good equipment even for a little while (I know for me it wasn't). Or maybe the timing just wasn't right for some reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dollarama Derby is tried again next summer. I've had second thoughts about chucking out that awful reel; I think I might just store it away in case another opportunity comes up to use it.

Thanks for a great idea, Cudz. It generated a lot of interest and amusing comment. I thought it would generate a lot more entries as people rose to the sporting challenge, but maybe it wasn't so easy to forsake good equipment even for a little while (I know for me it wasn't). Or maybe the timing just wasn't right for some reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dollarama Derby is tried again next summer. I've had second thoughts about chucking out that awful reel; I think I might just store it away in case another opportunity comes up to use it.

It was fun. I'd certainly be up for another kick of the can.

• 2 weeks later...

is this competetion only for bass??? i cought a 2 and half foot pike at mountsberg conservation area on a dollarama popper... i dont have the rod and reel in the shot though if i cannot be entered no problem but can i still post the pic? please pm me thankyou.

is this competetion only for bass??? i cought a 2 and half foot pike at mountsberg conservation area on a dollarama popper... i dont have the rod and reel in the shot though if i cannot be entered no problem but can i still post the pic? please pm me thankyou.

Hey Chandru

The tourney is over for this year.

You had to be using the whole dollarama kit including the rod and reel.

Maybe next year. Those poppers are good though.

• 4 years later...