Dollarama/Dollar Store Derby

TJQ

A summary for everyone. Post your picture entries here as well.

Rules and Dates

We have decided to have regional g2gs in Barrie and for sure Hamilton area. Looks like the August 29th is a go. If you can't make that day you can still compete in the competition as we are going to make it a month long event, all of August (kind of an extended tourney like the Salmon hunt only ours will be bigger .lol)

Aug 1st will be a gong show in Barrie anyway as Kempenfest is going on so the whole waterfront becomes useless and parking fro cars is at a premium let alone parking for cars/trucks trailers.

I will let you know where and when we will meet prior to the 29th in Barrie. We will have a blast off! haha.

Maybe someone people can steep up and work their regional g2gs.

We will get numbers closer to the day with regards to boaters and non boaters. Want to try and get everyone into boats if we can in Barrie anyway.

Rules .. sort of.

1. There is a $10 limit (actually $11.30 with tax) on your complete fishing package.

2. All items, including line, terminal tackle, rods and reels and lures must be bought from Dollarama or another dollar store (for those without Dollaramas nearby)

3. You may not use any other items from your tackle box that are not from dollarama

- no scents

- no live bait

- no swivels/leaders (unless you bought them at dollarama)

4. You may use food items as lures as long as they were bought at dollarama.

5. If you already have dollarama lures, they count toward your $10 worth of lures.

6. The use of downriggers and planer boards IS ALLOWED

7. All fish caught should have a picture taken with lure in mouth(if possible) and rod and reel in hand. Pic beside measuring tape would also be recommended

There are probably lots of other rules that I should mention but I need help.

The reel is a pretty crappy right hand retrieve only spinning reel. It already has line (just not too much). The rod is a telescopic 6' I believe. There is also a bamboo rod that comes with line and a hook and small split shot and a float (all for $1).

After you purchase the $4 rod and reel that leaves you with $6 for lures. There are cranks, poppers, jerkbaits, spinners, spoons, jigs, hooks leaders and much more.

Prizes.

I'm gonna throw in a jacket and a hat, and Ill likely be bale to come up with some 2nd and 3rd prizes as well. Cudz is the judge and has the final say. Rules can be modified at will, its a friendly tourney, so have fun.

OK, I have an entry --- such as it is! It was a calm evening on Nipissing so I figured I'd give it a try.

That $rama reel is a screamin' piece of crap - even for a small bass. The rod is OK, and the baits are pretty good --- for a buck.

Fish and lure photo...

d-ramabass1.jpg

Fish and tape photo...

d-ramabass2.jpg

That little bass coughed up three large shiners before got him in the boat. He must have liked the "tinfoil" lure. :)

Another fisherman out at dusk...

gbheron1.jpg

I searched high and low clear across Niagara looking for the Grail. been to 6 different stores. Finally, after fending off bus loads of dollarama frenzied migrants who just got paid, I finally found a Dollerama bamboo pole. Here is the swag:

DSCN2707.jpg

Here is the armoured version of the pole with a woven wrap of dollarama duct tape to compensate for certain weaknesses in the cane.

DSCN2708.jpg

We now be ready, Aaargh!, to do battle with the mighty Leviathans of the deeps

Well, so far we've got 1st, 2nd and 3rd place sewn up, TJ! :D

I thought there would be a slew of entries by now, but it's off to a slow start.

Still early boys. Those are good entries but one pike will crush them.

How long does this derby run? I haven't had a chance on using my stuff. The line is to short for trolling :D . I've got to get some casting in.

The derby's running for the whole month of August as far as I know.

Edited by jaydub

Finely got to use my dollar tackle on Erie, My buddy thought you got to be kidding, I even bought that stuff. We had a laugh.

dol1.jpg

dol2.jpg

This is all the time I put in, got me 1 entrée.

dol3.jpg

Don't laugh, I even tried for an Erie Walleye. Theres only 50ft. of line on the reel. looks like about 20 LB. test. I had 5 ft. behind the ball 40ft down and only a couple raps on the reel. My buddy said this is going to be interesting. If I caught anything on that rod, LOOK OUT. May get out one more time before it's over.

dol4.jpg

Finely got to use my dollar tackle on Erie, My buddy thought you got to be kidding, I even bought that stuff. We had a laugh.

dol1.jpg

dol2.jpg

This is all the time I put in, got me 1 entrée.

dol3.jpg

Don't laugh, I even tried for an Erie Walleye. Theres only 50ft. of line on the reel. looks like about 20 LB. test. I had 5 ft. behind the ball 40ft down and only a couple raps on the reel. My buddy said this is going to be interesting. If I caught anything on that rod, LOOK OUT. May get out one more time before it's over.

dol4.jpg

haha that's awesome dude!