Line Tangle Questions

tmleafs26

Hey guys,

Been fishing for years, but have never figured out the BEST way to spool my reel.

I usually do the pencil on the spool trick and reel it on, with this I get tangle sometimes.

Id like to know what your method of getting the line on the spool is? What is the best way to have the line go on straight and not twisted?

Secondly, aside from using leaders, what is the best way to fish with a RED DEVIL spoon without twisting the line?

Any suggestions?

I know these are basic questions, and I have always done it a certain way, but I am looking for suggestions that are better than my ways of doing things....

All suggestions welcome.

Happy Civic Holiday to our government/bank friends :)

Happy Double time and a half pay day to those working for government offices :)

Peace

Guest gbfisher

I take it that the reel yer using is a spinning reel.

I lay the spool of line flat on the floor and watch the curls in the line as they go up to the tip of the rod. When they start getting smaller.(every 4 to 5 turns) I flip the spool of line over and start again.

If you are having problems with line spin. Try using a floro carbon leader and a swivel up the line say 6 to 7' or longer if you have a good swivel.

Edited by gbfisher

gbfisher has the right idea on how to spool line onto a spinning reel BUT here's what most don't think about while doing this........the spool diameter that the line is coming off of is usually larger than the diameter of the spool on the spinning reel. Because of this it is IMPOSSIBLE to completely spool line onto a spinning reel without some TWIST. To completely remove the twist you need to run the line off the reel after you have filled it. This can be done by either having someone walk the line out for you and drop it on the ground and then you reeling it back onto the reel OR you can do this by yourself by letting the line off behind the boat while slowing trolling down the lake. BUT using either method make sure you have absolutely nothing on the end of the line while doing this.

Bob

While I let the plastic spool soak for 10 minutes in warm water so it can take the shape of my reel spool without too much springing, I put the arbor knot on the reel spool. Also this is a good time to wipe your rod and finger check the guides for any nicks on the ceramic hoops.

Then I do this method http://www.bassfishin.com/video-tips/how-t...-spinning-reel/ and I use a telephone book and put the line though the last few pages for pressure (for 60lb braid, for 15lb-30 mono or flouro I used mid way in the telephone book), and close the book.

When I get out onto the lake I cast a few long casts with a swivel and lure and this gets any remaining twists out. I know you probably can't get 100% twists out but I never really have any twists and tangles anymore.

Edited by Syn

Guest skeeter99

spooling line with no twist is so so so very simple

1. you take it off the spool the way it was put on!!! simple no brainer

put a nail on the garage wall or shelf

then put the spool on sideways and reel it on to your reel

this is how it was spun on at the factory with no twist now take it off the same way

never put the spool on the ground and reel it on all sorts of twist

Edited by skeeter99

never put the spool on the ground and reel it on all sorts of twist

That contradicts all advice I've ever read on spooling a spinning reel. Generally, you place the spool on the ground and reel a half-dozen cranks, watching the line. If the line starts to twist a lot, flip the spool over before you continue reeling. Billy Bob is right that it is pretty much impossible to completely eliminate line twist when spooling mono on a spinning reel, and I'd agree with his method of dealing with it.

I use a pencil like you do but I make sure that the line comes off the top of the spool when I reel it onto. I brace the pencil between my legs behind my knees and keep pressure on the line. Never had any issues with line twisting.

Or another tip is to spool it on the way you do and then once you are on the water... start your motor and engage it forward and let all the line out without any lures or swivels attached, then while you are moving forward, reel it all back in.

Another would be to drop the new spool into water, start reeling and let it unwind freely all the while keeping pressure on the line.

I would use a good quality swivel for your Red Devils.

Leechman

Edited by Leechman