Kawartha muskies in a kayak

jediangler

Spent the last two weeks at a rental cottage on Pigeon lake with the family. I took my kayak along in hopes of beating my PB yak musky from last August. I knew I wouldn't get out as much as I would like with weather conditions and family funtime coming first.

myyak.jpg

I did manage a total of 10hrs fishing for musky at a decent spot 1km away from the beach over 5 trips in the kayak. I caught two and had six other lazy followers during those outings.

musky46.jpg

This first one was caught July 20th on a Mepps musky killer bucktail. I hooked it in 10ft of water with scattered weed growth on a windless morning around 10am. It measured 38.5" and by the time I landed it there were 3 other boats around me watching.

release46.jpg

The spectators were all delighted when it took off giving me a good soaking.

musky47.jpg

The second fish was 33" and was caught on July 23rd on the same bucktail about 50yds from the first. This time it was pouring rain with a 15km/h east wind. I got to try out my battery powered bilge pumps and after 2 hours of pouring rain they emptied my yak in under 4minutes. I also borrowed a GPS unit and found I can troll for 30minutes at an average speed of 3.7km/h and I hit a top speed of 7km/h during a sprint on flat water.

lgbass1.jpg

We had a rental boat and as a family caught many panfish, small bass and even a few walleye casting a drifting jigs. My daughter was proud to lip her own fish before releasing them.