Which would you chose, if you were me, or if you were you??? ;)

michaelkovacs

With somewhat limited funds (under $1500), which would you chose?

1. a zodiac, 10-12' with 6-8hp motor

2. a decent 14' canoe

3. Neither... upgrade your rod and reel, and your tackle!

Some details...

I am 30, with a wife and 5 month old, so I'm not going to spend a fortune and don't have the time to put into a big boat with 'riggers, finders, 1000 spoons, etc. to troll all day for salmon (though man, I'd love to!). I live in Grimsby, so I have access to smaller bodies of water in the

Niagara area (and obvisously Ontario and Erie). I almost exclusively go after pike and bass (love topwater fishing), and occassionally walleye. My wife and I are buying a tent trailer because we both like camping, so most of my fishing will continue to be on smaller bodies of water north of Toronto, and whatever I get will have to fit on the top of the trailer. Finally, unfortunately, I only have a small garage! Thanks for the input!!! :D

Mike

Edited by michaelkovacs

With the wife and baby, I think I would go for the zodiak.

It will fly with a motor that size, it will haul on top of your camper, and the wife and baby will be safe and comfy in it, and, you can easily operate it yourself.

I would go with a good solid square back canoe with a small horse motor on it. With this you could take out your kid and your wife for a day of fishing....It will fit on top of your camper trailer as well and you should have a couple bucks left over to get some life jackets and other required accessories.....

Good Luck !!

12 foot aluminum with a 6-8 hp......Get it just as cheap as the zodiac or the canoe. Eh?. Way more versatile.

When it comes to a Zodiac well you have very little stowage ..so if the "Z" is 5' wide you have a huge pontoon on either side that holds air ... thus reducing the floor space to about 6-9 sq/ft ...in this sq/footage you must include

a gas tank, tackle box or something like it a passenger or two all the necessary gear ..and Yourself... Been there done that ...

My buddy Pat had a real good 14' AVON Inflatable with a 9.9 Johnny. It was great to fool around with but when it came to fishing it was terrible...no room.

My vote is for the canoe....that's if you don't wanna get the Tinny.

RFS

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

12 foot aluminum with a 6-8 hp......Get it just as cheap as the zodiac or the canoe. Eh?. Way more versatile.

When it comes to a Zodiac well you have very little stowage ..so if the "Z" is 5' wide you have a huge pontoon on either side that holds air ... thus reducing the floor space to about 6-9 sq/ft ...in this sq/footage you must include

a gas tank, tackle box or something like it a passenger or two all the necessary gear ..and Yourself... Been there done that ...

My buddy Pat had a real good 14' AVON Inflatable with a 9.9 Johnny. It was great to fool around with but when it came to fishing it was terrible...no room.

My vote is for the canoe....that's if you don't wanna get the Tinny.

RFS

:canadian:

I was just sticking to the choices given, but first choice would be a 12' tinny

The tent tariler will easily haul a light one.

heck, we pulled one to BC and back like that

Definitely a 12'aluminum rather than a zodiac or a canoe if you want to keep it light and still have room for a little comfort. Put a 6 to 8 HP on that and you've got yourself an nice, easy-to-handle outfit that will fit on your trailer.

yeah I'd put another vote on a 12' aluminum. My only concern with that is the load/unload process. I know alot of people do it solo with that kind of set up but I don't see myself being able to do it.

But that concern also goes with the canoe though, unless you get a kevlar ... I have a 16' fiberglass canoe and I also doubt that i can load/unload it myself onto/off my car without scratching it. Mine is a 16 so a 14 might be lighter ...

Zodiacs are expensive man! Better off opting for the 12' aluminum. There are a lot of good deals out there on small boats like that if you keep your eyes open. A decent aluminum boat and small motor will take a beating and work for years.

I know it isn't listed as an option,

but as for mentioned, a 12' tinny with a small outboard can be purchased for half of the allotted $1500.

With the rest of the funds, you can upgrade ur tackle and even swing a portable fishfinder if interested...

For transport and ease of use with versatility the 12ftr is ur best bet...

Good Luck and ALWAYS PLAY SAFE!!!!

Will

great ideas... much appreciated. My uncle has a 12' aluminum and 9.9 that I know he doesn't use. maybe he'd part with that. Not sure why I didn't think of that before. And you all think hauling a tent-trailer with boat on top is okay with my car ? I have an 07 Pontiac Torrent (SUV for those that don't know).

Cheers!

I thik if you're towing the tent-trailer with no problems right now, adding the weight of a 12 footer shouldn't make a big difference. Make sure it's strapped down good and stop and check your straps often...they tend to losen.

Have fun. Play safe.

12 footers vary in weight depending how they're built, but figure on about 100 to 125 lbs --- negligible with a V-6 SUV and a trailer. A 9.9 motor and full gas tank (probably fit in the bed of the trailer) would add about another 120 lbs.

Maybe your uncle would let you try out the 12 and 9.9 for a test run even if he doesn't want to part with it?

A couple of those foam swimming "noodles" might be good for a cushion between boat and trailer if you split them lengthways and fit them over the gunwales of the boat?

Go with the canoe, then you can take backcountry trips. No maintenance, lasts forever, easier to transport, and canoeing is the best way to be on the water.

Yea, then you can ONLY take backcountry trips.. because half the time you will fear using your canoe on any real water..

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

12 foot aluminum. zodiacs are nice but lack in comfort compared to a tinny.

<----------- I used a zodiac and an 8 hp in this photo...2 people with a backpack and you're out of room...

a tinny with a 9.9 is comfy and has just enough to get off the lake in a hurry if you have a crying kid or a thunderstorm!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

you could store it on the tent trailer. fishing out of a canoe is a bit of a war as far as balance goes. add in another guy or the wife and kids and you can barely keep it upright. ive heard fishing out of a dedicated kayak is easier, but wont take the family on a tour. the most stable, roomy option is the tinny.