Lower Buckhorn

PickerelHunter

Hey guys...I don't post much as I rarely have time to fish nowadays let alone share anything on here...however I do check back once in while to see all the great posts...We have a trailer on Upper Buckhorn and we've fished the lake pretty good and know many diff. spots to catch some decent fish...the Lower Buckhorn is a lake that I would really like to try fishing and is obviously very close to us. I've searched through the many posts about the lower buckhorn and surrounding lakes but didn't find too much information on particular spots. Can anyone give me any information on fishing the west end of the lake, we're only going out for a day so I don't see myself venturing to the east end unless it is strongly suggested.

Also, I have a map of the lower buckhorn which will do fine but I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a bit more detailed of a depth map for the lake...this is the one I have but was hoping for one with a bit more detail

BuckhornLakeLower.jpg

Lastly....what does this symbol mean on these maps + ....rocks maybe???

Thanks for the help guys

Edited by PickerelHunter

Hey Pickeral Hunter

When you say the west end of the lake I don't know how far you mean. Lower Buckhorn only goes down about as far as Wolfe Island on your map beyond that you have to go through another set of locks there are also some overflow dams down in Black Duck Bay that flow into Lovesick you can also fish Deer Bay it is part of Lower Buckhorn. I have mentioned several times about fishing on this lake as I have a cottage on the lake and I will stress this again be careful especially on the north side of the lake outside the main channel as there are lots of rock reefs just below water level and many are unmarked as far as fishing goes there are lots of places depending on what fish species you are targeting and by your name I might assume pickeral which I don't target much except early in the spring before muskie and bass season opens. I like Black Duck Bay for bass and musky but it is at the east end of the lake and can be very dangerous with unmarked rocks and very weedy thats all I can say. Good luck let me know if you want further info and how you do.

Kawartha Kev

Thanks for the reply there Kawartha Kev...By the west end I meant the town of Buckhorn and that area there. Bass would be our main target although I'm sure I'd start throwing some larger spinners and such for some muskies. The rocks scare me a little bit to be honest since I've never been out on this lake and would hate to get in an accident...having said that it is a pretty popular lake so hopefully it won't be too bad

I've been there the last two years for a week for Canada day. The advice here is good, when you're off the main channel or even just outside of channel markers, beware of rocks. My first year I ran up on one at night when I was down a small channel in the west end. Kind of scary, but I was only in a 12' with a 9.9 so it was too slow to really hurt me.

The dam is a good spot to fish, plus any of the small bays close to the main channel. I've also caught fish around pretty much of the islands where the lake opens up close to the marina. Usually the bouys are a very good thing because they seem to be marking hazards wich tend to make for good fishing.

Good luck!

The cross symbols on that map are indeed rocks. I spend quite a bit of time on that lake and I know those rocks well. The one directly below the name Wolf Island is marked, but the marker is difficult to see in open water. The map only marks hazards close to the channel. Venture beyond if you dare... bwuahahahah!