Back from the Tightlines shoot out

misfish

I was a spotter today for a group of guys that turned out to be members here.Iceguy and tundrnlighing(Rob and Rod) Man these guys were great to hang out with. These two never stopped working hard all day and ribb,b each other.I also got to spend the day in a booat I have always wanted to try.21ft Trophy.

Today I learned so much more about the salmon thing. Dipsys,cut bait,copper and lead core lineing. What 100-600 meant,and how to use it.Wow,how things have changed. But I do like it.

The morning started off unreal.First 45 minutes into the day,theres a triple header(that was fun to watch) :lol::Gonefishing:

Then once they set up again,another was boated.4 fish in the box already.Wow this is going to be a great day.Well it would turn out ,that it would be another 3 hrs before we got any other action.With the slowing of the bait,the captian says time for old school.Cut herring strips. Of couse Rod does his best impression of an old school yo yo old school.LOL

The capt set up the rod and we waited.At this time there was a small wager going on what rod would go off next.So I go in and pick one.The only rules were 20 inches and a king.I pick the rigger rod with the cut bait.Wouldnt ya know,it goes off,but to no avail,it was a shaker.Set up again and I stick with the same rod. Yep off it goes again and this time,it was not a shaker.Rob did a great job making sure it was landed and the capt netted it.Rod was not allowed anywhere near the fish.HAHAHAHAHA

The day was filled with some very interesting events.4 times we thought we had the kings of kings on,but would turn out to be snags on those rope the sailing guys leave behind from the marker bouys for thier races. :wallbash:

Rod found out the hard way twice with having to get back his 600 copper.That job will pump you up eh Rod. Good job on getting it all back both times.

Like I said,these guys knew thier stuff.Changing up but still sticking to thier game plan. I never seen so many combos and abortions.LOL

We or they, ended up with thier 6 fish limit,but wasnt close to what was brought in,but it was still a great day to be out with them and the capt.

Also got to meet some other great members from the board for the first time.Gavin,TonB,Arron S. Nice to meet you guys.All class act.

Now that I have some new knowledge of these many ways to fish deeper fish,Im holding off on the rigger.Going to give this copper wire and dipseys a try for some Simcoe lakers.

Sorry there are no pics, we were rushed leaving Friday and forgot it.BUT I DO WISH I HAD IT FOR THE CLOWNING AROND PARTS.LOL

Thanks again to Al for the invite. Would love to do it again next year.

On a side note,2 of our members did very well with big fish,but thats thier stories to tell.

Well done fellas.

Now Im still swaying back and forth here so that will end my post for now.

Edited by misfish

Sounds like fun ....

OK I give ... whats 100-600 mean ?

They have different rod set ups with 100 to 600 ft of copper.Theres a lead of mono or floro,then the copper,then a braid backing.The copper length determines the depth,wieght of the amount of copper. They would then attach a planer board on the Braid.

Hard for me to explain,but have it in my little head now.LOL

Sounds like a great day Brian. There's definitely a lot more to the big lake than just droppping a ball down and driving aimlessly in circles. :D

Oh how true Chris.How things have changed since the early 80,s. :worthy:

Im still dumb founded,at the new teq. It,s a beutiful thing to watch and learn. Brings me back when I first started doing the same thing for bass.Go out and watch and learn and get the bug. But like I told the boys today,when they lost some gear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You know what a tube costs? LOL

Still rewinding the day and playing forward.

What a day.

Edited by misfish

So, what did ya think of the Trophy? I'm thinking it was a new model.... :D

The one I was on Andy ,I believe was a 2007. It,s the widest beam they make.8.6.From what I was told by the capt.This thing flew threw the 3-4 ft chop like nothing.Man what a ride that was.Trim tabs down just right and away we went.

I have a two year plan with the Bayliner and the Mrs,s,then,Im looking.LOL

Brian, it was a pleasure meeting you and whenever you want to hit the big water to chase some chrome - just say the word!

I have to add that Brian is an eagle eye on the boat....nothing moves without him knowing about it!

Definately had a blast, too bad we couldn't find the hogs today.....

Good to meet you too Brian, and also nice to meet your bro memart :)

Here are a couple of kings we got during the pre-fish but you'll all have to wait to see the picture of the behemoth that Gman (Gavin) caught to win big fish during the derby 33.70lbs! These ones are just babies compared to that fish :lol:

IMG_0167Medium.jpg

IMG_0169Medium.jpg

IMG_0170Medium.jpg

And here is the GIANT that took home $1000 for us.

Tightline_08-01-2009_1.jpg

Congrats again Gavin!

Edited by tonyb

When I saw that fish, it was amazing.Clean fat fish.

Congrats again to Gavin again on a great fish.

You guys along with Terry had a great catch.

Rod ,I would love to get out there and give that copper a whirl.

Will be intouch.

Edited by misfish

I thought I saw ya there Misfish... wasnt 100% tho... then G & I were talking on Sunday & he told me you had been there

big ups to some pals of mine from team Pressman on there big win against all the hot sticks from around the Lake

:thumbsup_anim:

as well to Tony, Aaron & G for there big fish of the day...

the Tightlines shoot-out is one of the best run events ive seen, great competition, well organized & great payouts

I thought I saw ya there Misfish... wasnt 100% tho

I did see a guy eyeing me up.Might of been you.LOL

I just seen guys from thier avatars and just asked, if they were on OFC.

What a great day... super fish, but wheres the dollarama setup???

I dont think you can catch them for a buck or two. Not from what I seen anyways.LOL

It was really nice to have you aboard Brian. You had some eagle eyes out there for sure. My least favourite part was the snags in the ropes and losing the 500 ft copper and planer. The triple header was great but the best part was Tundra and lightning fell asleep for 10 minutes and there was finally some peace and quiet. ;)