Pole fishing for panfish

izaakwalton

I picked up one of those myself as well, too bad they ran out of the 20' version. Have yet to try using it but I have it rigged up and will try it out next time I go panfishing on the boat.

I'd imagine that it'd make the fight really enjoyable.

Any idea how to tie fishing line to the pole? The salesman said to tie the line directly to the single eye on the tip of the pole. However, there is are two metal clips near the handle whose function I still do not understand. I couldn't find an online resource that teaches you how to tie line to a pole.

Tie your line directly to the eye on the end of the pole! I like 4-6lb. test flouro! I use the improved clinch knot for this, the same one I use for the hook.

The metal clips are used to wrap you excess line around, but I like to only use as much line as the pole is long... 10' pole, 10 of line!

Use a #8 long shank hook for the crickets! Insert the hook into the crickets butthole and bring it out at his neck/collar.

You can buy domestic crickets at any pet store, and worms work well too!

Pole fishin' is a blast, especially if you get into some big "Bull 'Gills" or a 2 lb. Bass!!! :Gonefishing:

Edited by GCD

Advice is much appreciated. I rigged the pole with Pline 6lb fluoroclear. Used the improved cinch on the pole, palomar on the hook. I'm using a #8 Mustad octopus hook and will catch the crickets near the shore.

GCD: Any reason why you suggest long-shank hook? Guessing that it reduces the chance of fish swallowing the hook? I figure octopus would be best, since it's easy to set the hook into the side of fish's mouth using less force.

Any tips on fighting a fish? Do I try to hold rod tip straight up and let the flex of the rod tire out the fish? How do you land bigger fish; will pulling it out of the water on light line break the line?

Neat thread. I've never seen these poles but I'd love to get a 20 footer. I guess you'd basically have to be holding the rod almost totally vertical to land anything if you had 20 feet of line on it. Could you cast tiny spinners and such with one of these or are they more designed for tiny jigs, grubs, crickets, etc?

Edited by Weeds

I have the 10' 13' 20'. Instead of the metal eye I use these http://newworldcarp.com/osc/middy-whip-connector-p-270.html, only pic I can find of them. the 10' I never used, the 13' is light and nice to use for float fishing panfish, the 20' I used to use for carp, but it's really heavy. I bought a whip from the UK 8m much lighter. They are nice, but the Wonderpoles are collecting dust now. You will be happy with it.

DanielM: I don't understand the purpose of the metal eye replacement you use. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the whip is a little different from a pole. For the whip, the line is threaded into the rod blank and tied internally to a rubber band. It's the rubber band that absorbs the shock of the pulling fish. Meanwhile, for a pole, the line is tied externally and the pole absorbs the force.

Any tips for presenting bait, hook-setting, and fighting fish on these long poles?

Do any other rod manufacturers make poles? It would be interesting to have a G Loomis or St. Croix or Shimano pole.

A whip or flick tip which are the wonderpoles or 8m UK whip I mentioned, use the tip to absorb the shock, (line tied directly to the tip). The one with the elastic uses an internal elastic to absorb the shock, which the line connects to the elastic connector. these are called poles. Now the wonderpole can be turned in to a semi pole, by elasticateing the top 3 sections, but it is a hassle to use.

I normally use a float with the wonderpoles, bait is you choice, depending what your going for. Hook set should be a quick. smooth sweep motion.

Fighting the fish, well.....I can't explain it, but keep pressure on the fish.

Edited by DanielM

Returned from a day of pole fishing at a pond for creek chub. Pole fishing is great fun, especially for casual anglers like kids and girls. Caught over 50 chub over an afternoon. Simple and fun way to fish, no snags, line twist, etc. Highly recommended - would probably be great for dock fishing in shallow water for panfish as well. Thanks againf for the great advice.