Exhaust bellows (rubber boot)

blaque

Sooooooooo, the boat is taking on a bit of water............the bilge needs to be turned on quite a bit after a good half hour fish.

My hunch is the rubber boot at the transom/lower unit (otherwise known as the bellows)

Has anyone ever had this replaced, done it themselves.........any idea on what this will entail as far as cost with labor included vs. a do it yourself job.

I know it will involve removing the lower unit , i am not thrilled with this news :angry:

Been told its a bear. A few hours work.

Your lower unit has to be removed to perform this service it will need the be "re-aligned" using the proper tools.

Not for a general DIY as special tools are required.

Special sealants are required for the new bellows.

Take the boat out of the water...place it level on the trailer. Take a garden hose with low pressure around the back of the drive mounting area and see if your getting water.

Hope this helps.

I helped my old buddy John..he's 80 yrs old, do this to his 1987 22' Crestliner 350 I/O...took us all of 1 hr ..everything went smoothly.

The boat " B-52" is still guiding today on Lake Nipissing..with John at the helm. He's been guiding since the end of WWII he's the guy to go with.

RFS

:canadian:

Depends on what drive it is. The exhaust bellows can't leak into the boat so it would be the drive shaft bellows.

Volvo and mercs aren't bad unless you have to do an alignment on the merc and then you'll probably be looking at a new bearing as well. You should have the drive off every year or so to grease the universal joints.

If you have a leak through the transom assembly, you should replace the driveshaft bellows, shift shaft bellows, exhaust bellows, gimbal bearing and shift cable if it has not been recently replaced (will most likely break trying to change the bellows anyway). You will also need an outdrive gasket kit to put the drive back on. This will save you a lot of unnecessary work in the future. Not a job recommended for someone who isn't very mechanically inclined.

Greasable universal joints are a thing of the past, so unless your boat is ten years old or older don't worry about taking it apart to grease the drive shaft. Keep the gimbal greased though!