Needle in a haystack...or loaf of bread!

bigfish1965

I was making myself a sammich yesterday when I noticed what I thought was a shaft of wheat sticking out of a slice. No problem..I'll just pull it out. Then I noticed it was a small sewing needle. At first I thought somehow in got in there from me leaving a sewing needle laying around, but then remembered...I don't have such things..lol.

I called the 800 number on the loaf and really had a hard time convincing them I did not want to sue them or anything, just wanted them to know. So they are sending someone out to pick up the bag, tag and needle.

Yeah, I know some will say I am foolish..but I wasn't hurt so no harm done, just concerned for their business. Not really able to tell if it was from the bakery or inserted by some nut at the store.

They said they would call the store and pull that lot from the shelf...though I am sure it is all gone by now.

So just be careful with your bread for a bit. Give your slices a little pat down to make sure just in case there is a freak in the bakery or hitting stores.

The people on the phone were all very good and very professional about it all. I don't want to mention the manufacturer cause it may not have been their fault so it would not be fair to them.

Just a heads-up for y'all.

what the hell?

Why post the story if your not going to give us a heads up on the manufacturer...if you think it might be someone at the store, could you give us a store name (I assume in fonthill area?)?

Better not be no frills....lol

Take a picture of the Needle and the Loaf.... get any info off the loaf or whatever.

Also, get them to sign a piece of paper saying they've taken the Needle and Loaf. (for your own records; incase you ever do decide to sue)

It was a St Catharines store..at the Pen Center . No it wasn't no-frills. It is a very common manufacturer that uses the cellophane packaging. I do have to be careful with what I say being an admin here.

Like I said, saying any names would not be prudent, I don't think, but if you PM me I will give u the details.

Just saying to be a bit more careful...it could be a nut job sticking things in food at the store or at the factory..I am hoping the company lets me know.

I did not want a years supply of bread..lol. They did insist on replacing this loaf, though, which seems fair. I imagine they need everything for testing so they can figure out where in the chain this happened. I am sure food companies take stuff like this very seriously.

Now had I given a piece to my dog and he got hurt, yes, I would have been seriously pissed and things would have happened different. But I hate people who turn things like this into a way to screw someone over, so thats not my way.

Something similar happened to me about 10 years ago.

found a staple in some chinese food, complained loudly, kept staple, contacted their head office.

They sent me a ton of free dinner coupons/vouchers.

I was not even hurt, just pissed that this could even happen to my food!!!

YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW UP ON THIS!!!

I have a good story here......I grabbed a Foster's, cracked it and it was pretty much jelly inside....so being half loaded and a house full of first year students we went online and sent them a nasty email....so Molson, who brews Foster in Canada sent me an email, called me and sent me out a package to return the beer....they also sent me vouchers for 4 FREE CASES...not a bad deal for me I'd say

so 3 weeks later the woman follows up with me, says the test results indicate it was a protein buildup that caused the beer to solidify, something about the cap maybe wasn't on perfect and air got in.....end of story...for a while....

2 yrs later I see an old roommate and start chatting, asked if he stayed in touch with anybody, including the deadbeat loser roommie we had, which I had some issues with, we did not get along....and then I get the REAL STORY....so my buddy goes:

"and oh hey, I'm not sure we ever told you, you remember that jelly beer you had, that was ryan(deadbeat loser), he put in some laxative in and resealed the bottle....."

I'm sure Molson's testing obviously revealed it was laxative and not protein buildup.....just goes to show you what manufacturers will hide and aren't going to admit anything, they probably thought the laxative was on their end.....

Now had I given a piece to my dog and he got hurt, yes, I would have been seriously pissed and things would have happened different. But I hate people who turn things like this into a way to screw someone over, so thats not my way.

Good on you......i agree, i wouldnt throw mud on someones company name either when it could full well be some punk in the stores popping a pin thru some plastic bags. NOT a difficult thing to achieve, and PLENTY of idiots in this world that would do something like that.

The staple in the chinese food.......it happens, i worked in a rest. for years.....theres lots of stuff that goes on in a kitchen that you dont know about. Do you know how many dishes/glasses break a nite. And shards of it go flying who knows where. It could happen that you get foreign particles in your food on any given night...........and it shouldnt be a surprise lol. If you dont get seriously hurt...........a free meal would suffice. And its usually what you recieve wthout question.

My dad was at a banquet once and spooned a plateful of macaroni salad on his plate.....when he lifted the spoon, there was a full rubber glove in it LOL. Thats a tough one to figure out.......but he didnt threaten to take down the company, didnt boycott the establishment, he laughed about it and got a free meal and a sincere apology from the owner. Done and over.