HST Tax Grab

Jonny

Fishing related? You bet!

The Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) that the Ontario goverment is commiting to means that many things that are currently exempt from Provincial Sales Tax (PST) will become taxable under the federal/provincial HST.

Among many other ramifications, it mean that any fishing gear we buy out-of-province or from the USA will become taxable at a higher rate. Currently we pay no PST on out-of-province purchases, only the federal 5% GST (Goods and Services Tax). Under the HST scheme we will pay 13% !

Don't forget about this at election time. :angry:

It was already announced in the provincial budget in April.

Here's an older news clip...

http://www.njnnetwork.com/njn/?p=6933

Note that it says that hopefully some business cost savings will be passed on to consumers.... wish us luck!

And McGuinty is adding a bribe to Ontario residents to smooth the acceptance --- so you know it's going to cost us plenty in the long run and he's trying to buy us off for the next election.

You'll hear only what they have to tell you from the Ontario gov't. The quieter they can keep things, the more they'll like it.

Edited by Jocko

Everyone needs to send this yahoo a message.

I did and got back a bunch of crap, all this does is make it easier for businesses not the regular folks.

As of July 2010 it will be in effect!!!

Here is the link to send him a message http://www.premier.gov.on.ca/feedback/default.asp?Lang=EN

Like the government doesn't get enough taxes out of OUR pockets.

Overload his inbox with messages, we need to speak up.

Oh boy.......government spends $1.31 for every tax dollar collected........

Now guys, I am very near the boarder.....maybe I should set up a pick up site for you guys (fishing/hunting related only of course). You order and have the stuff shipped here. We meet and I get say 5-10% handling charge........ B)

So I assume this isn't 100% then...?

It's 100% unless McGuinty thinks it could lose him an election. The agreement has already been made with the Feds.

Now guys, I am very near the boarder.....maybe I should set up a pick up site for you guys (fishing/hunting related only of course). You order and have the stuff shipped here. We meet and I get say 5-10% handling charge.....

Now there's an offer it could be hard to refuse, for guys on this board who live close to the border too! :D

Edited by Jocko

Now guys, I am very near the boarder.....maybe I should set up a pick up site for you guys (fishing/hunting related only of course). You order and have the stuff shipped here. We meet and I get say 5-10% handling charge........ B)

Then we would have to smuggle over the border, if we get caught its way worse than paying 14%....

We have a depot for that here in Sault michigan. A dollar a package charge.

It's 100% unless McGuinty thinks it could lose him an election. The agreement has already been made with the Feds.

Now there's an offer it could be hard to refuse, for guys on this board who live close to the border too! :D

Lemme know what you want jocko, I send stuff to my daughter in North Bay all the time

Then we would have to smuggle over the border, if we get caught its way worse than paying 14%....

You don't need to smuggle. Anything under a hundred bucks is no charge. Over that is minimal.

It will also affect things like RENT which they expect will have to go up on average between $180 and $300 depending on rent costs and how things like your insurance is set up through the landlord/corporation and how they will have to pay for the added expence for them also. It will affect Mortgages and Property Tax as well as far as i understand from what i've read into the subject

We definately all get screwed with this new tax.

This was pushed by the feds.

If I recall right the feds refused to collect pst at the border, the way it has been is that when you return from the U.S. you are supposed to figure out the pst on any U.S. purchases and remit the tax yourself. Now you can imagine how many actually do that. So to collect pst at the border they have to man crossings with a provincial agent or do the HST. As you are already required to pay the pst on U.S. purchases they can claim its not a tax hike its just a way of collecting tax owed.

We have a depot for that here in Sault michigan. A dollar a package charge.

Lemme know what you want jocko, I send stuff to my daughter in North Bay all the time

Thanks!!!

I'll keep that in mind, especially if I run across something where the shipping charge is high to Canada or they won't ship to Canada.

This was pushed by the feds.

If I recall right the feds refused to collect pst at the border, the way it has been is that when you return from the U.S. you are supposed to figure out the pst on any U.S. purchases and remit the tax yourself. Now you can imagine how many actually do that. So to collect pst at the border they have to man crossings with a provincial agent or do the HST. As you are already required to pay the pst on U.S. purchases they can claim its not a tax hike its just a way of collecting tax owed.

They are loosing a drop in the bucket at the border.

This IS a NEW tax.

It is a provincial GST

We never had a service tax before

If they had any credibility at all, they would put it at 4 or 5 percent rather than 8.

Thats what the maritimes did when they enacted this.

They are hugely raising taxes.

The rebate is a dangling carrot.

I remember now.. the feds were going to hold back equalization payments unless the prov. did the hst.

Ontario has been trying to get a fairer share and hst was part of the deal.

even that wouldn't mean they have to leave it at 8%

4% would be a lot more fair

As I understand it, the total tax rate we pay will remain the same, but we will be paying tax on a wider range of items, some of them quite costly.

Currently we pay 8% PST plus 5% GST (At least the Feds have reduced the GST by 2% over the last several years).

Under the HST we will pay a "blended" PST+GST of 13% --- the same total tax rate, but the blended tax will apply to things that were never taxed with the PST before... that's where the extra cost to us consumers will come in. The Feds and the Province will be raking in more tax dollars with the blended HST than they did with the separate PST and GST. It's the typical shell game that gov'ts play with us to take more money out of our pockets without us screaming too much.

The best evidence that it's going to cost us considerably more is the bribe being offered by McGuinty, to the tune, if I understand it correctly, of a one-time $1000 "rebate" per taxpayer family (hush money) that we're supposed to be paid at about the time the tax comes into effect.

Like we don't pay enough tax already!

This article details some of it...

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_33227.aspx

Edited by Jocko

If you have a plumber come to your house, you will now pay an additional 8% on his labour bill.

never mind that 50% of his bill is already a tax of some sort. employer health tax, wsib, and a host of other taxes a company has to add to an hourly rate above wages.

The part I remember is that to get elected McGuinty said NO New Taxes.

And the thousand dollar rebate will not apply to my family because there is a cap on houshold income to recieve it.

Many years ago I was working and listening to the talk radio station and It might have been Harris that was giving a huge tax rebate and people would call in and say I'm buying a car or fridge or whatever with the money. Then someone did the math and it added up to something like 5 bucks. The sad thing is how much it costs to run all the different taxes and user fees and rebates. They could save a bundle with one tax no Bull user fees and rebates, spend the money and git er done.

I actually don't mind having to pay taxes...roads, schools and hospitals cost money...but if the government wants about half of my income, I'd like to see two things happen:

1) Don't waste my money on stupid stuff. I worked hard for that money and if you're gonna take it away from me, do something constructive with it.

2) Tax wealthy individuals and profitable corporations at the same rate as I am taxed...give them the same amount of tax breaks and subsidies (which equals none) as I get. This notion that the super-rich should be exempt from the burden of taxation because they "create jobs" or "drive the economy" is the biggest load of Bull and yet one of the most widely held beliefs. You boss doesn't keep you employed out of the goodness of his heart, he does so because he makes a profit off your labour. He can't ammass wealth without people to work for him. If tomorrow he could figure out a way of letting you go, without affecting productivety, he would do it without hesitation. The owning class is not owed a debt of gratitude by us working stiffs...it's the other way around.

Rant over. (For now.)

I like everyone here do not like to pay unfair taxes... For that very reason what I don't understand why all the anger is directed to the Liberals in Ontario. The Conservatives in Ottawa have been doing everything possible since they got in to make the HST in Ontario a reality. They have held back transfer payments and refuse to collect PST at the border. It also the FEDS not the provincial government who are going to foot the bill for the so called bribe, McGuinty stated that the HST would not go ahead without significant start up money from the Feds!!!! So why would Ottawa bribe us? Because they are going to reap billions from doing this too.

Even overlooking those facts I still don't see why people on here feel it is perfectly acceptable to pay GST on those same items they are complaining about having to pay the harmonized tax on after July 2010..... To me if the tax is bogus at the provincial level it still is at the federal level and we HAVE been paying that. So where is the uproar against the Feds for backstabbing us all along with those taxes?

I like everyone here do not like to pay unfair taxes... For that very reason what I don't understand why all the anger is directed to the Liberals in Ontario. The Conservatives in Ottawa have been doing everything possible since they got in to make the HST in Ontario a reality. They have held back transfer payments and refuse to collect PST at the border. It also the FEDS not the provincial government who are going to foot the bill for the so called bribe, McGuinty stated that the HST would not go ahead without significant start up money from the Feds!!!! So why would Ottawa bribe us? Because they are going to reap billions from doing this too.

Even overlooking those facts I still don't see why people on here feel it is perfectly acceptable to pay GST on those same items they are complaining about having to pay the harmonized tax on after July 2010..... To me if the tax is bogus at the provincial level it still is at the federal level and we HAVE been paying that. So where is the uproar against the Feds for backstabbing us all along with those taxes?

I could live with the HST as its does save a bit for bussiness, but, being at 8% is what gets me. That is a huge increase and it is a new tax. This from a guy that PROMISED NO NEW TAXES he is a LIAR.

We have been screwed out of our power generation, started by Harris I know, but being finished by this idiot now, and now he is lying about new taxes. They keep wanting more money for more programs. This stuff helps very few people and costs money. I will totally rebel if they come through with this subsidised child care thing.

And NO, my rant is not over :D:rolleyes:

I will totally rebel if they come through with this subsidised child care thing.

Isn't some form of government subsidized child care a necessity for the thousands of single parents out there who earn close to minimum wage? How else could they get by...quit their jobs and go on welfare? I really don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but I'm curious what other options you think we should explore.

Hey, as a childless person, I sometimes recent the fact that my tax dollars "subsidize" an eduacation system for other people's kids. Why should I pay for your kids to learn their ABC's?...well the reason is because it's for the good of the country. It's cheaper to teach them how to read and write today and have them become productive members of society than to pay for them to be unemployed for their whole lives tomorrow. It's arguable that affordable/accessable child care is also a societal cost that we all must bear.

Maybe I'm wrong...I'm sure someone will tell me so!

:P