Maitland River

jeff24

Heading to Goderich area for the weekend camping. Has anyone been fishing the river lately? just curious if it is been producing anything and water levels.(I would assume it is up a bit). We stay annually in the Auburn area.

Thanks

That area has got very little rain at all this year and the maitland is suffering huge these days. It looks like a small creek going under the Hwy 21 bridge.

If you go fish closer to the mouth you may find some better fishing, provided the bucket brigade hasn't totally cleaned her out. The decimation of smallies there over the past two years makes me sick!

sorry to dash your hopes, but at least you are aware.

Fished there last weekend, not much going on unless you like crappie and very small SM bass. Between 2 of us, we got one 2lb smallie in 4 hours fishing.

Won't be going back up there anytime soon, so that tells you all you need to know.

And the river is very very low. You will need to hunt around to find the deeper pools.

Edited by Dutchy

No, not much fish on that river, especially when the water-level is low. I've been there a few years ago, and caught very little fish even though we tried different methods and lures. It was very shallow. The only method we did not try was fly fishing. We saw a couple of beavers though. ;) They would stop and wait every time for us to take our line out so that they would pass by. They were building a dam next to the golf course.

Edited by LargeBass

Its been doing pretty well for bass. Expect anything from 1 to 5 lb smallmouth. Green wooly buggers have been the ticket if you are fly fishing!

This is the auburn area as well that I'm talking about. The mouth isn't looking too good at all.

Edited by fish_finder

Go to the mouth of Bayfield river right in Bayfield if your a smallie fisherman take some white tube jigs and cast them on the bend at the opposite side of the marina...far side always holds smallmouth and they love the tube jig there...it's a great spot and theres plenty of them along that stretch after the bend...haven't been there in 3 weeks but has paid off everytime I've gone...good luck!!

Edited by tightline

Thanks for the replys. We camped From Fri night to Mon morning. We fished every day. We got smallmouth from 1- 2.5 lbs, some rock stars and managed 2 small rainbows, both 7-8". All but a couple smallmouth are swimming today. (Fish ry for the kiddies) Thought we would do worse with the kids swimming and creating lots of noise however, we did okay. This was in the Auburn area.