A little local colour

Jonny

My wife and I drove to Sudbury yesterday and we decided to take a detour along some backwoods secondary highways to see an area we hadn't seen before. One little village we saw was called River Valley (along the Sturgeon River) - a old logging community which lost its railway spur long ago and now relies on I'm not sure what, except some flow-through traffic to fishing and lodges further north. There are only three larger buildings in town - a general store, a Catholic church and an old hotel converted to a four-plex. Add a couple of dozen homes and that's it.

We stopped for some french fries at a chip stand in the village, and we browsed the general store next door - two floors jam-packed with groceries, liquor and beer, tackle, camping gear, local crafts and souvenirs. I took a picture of the exterior because I thought it had the typical local colour of a place like that... complete with ATV's parked at the gas pumps. Actually in quite nice repair for the backwater it's in.

Question - If you follow Hwy 539A and Road 805, what kind of fishing opportunities does that get you into? We saw some big motor homes and fifth wheels heading up that way.

P72927831024x768.jpg