After watching Satan do this several times, the fellow's curiosity got the

better of him. He strolled over and asked Satan what he was doing. "Excuse

me, Prince of Darkness," he said. "I'm waiting in line for judgement, but

I couldn't help wondering, why are you tossing those people aside instead of

flinging them into the Fires of Hell with the others?"

"Ah, those," Satan said with a groan. "They're all from

Ontario.................. They're still too wet to burn."

Edited by Jocko

As a member of USW local 6500 I find the concessions in the contract proposed by ValeInco to be totally unacceptable. Shut it down, boys!

This is an NF topic anyway, FW, so maybe I can ask... how is the strike shaping up? Any movement from Vale-INCO yet?

I never intended to provoke a discussion with my signature, and know full well a lot of OFNers have no sympathy for any form of labour disbute, so I have no intention of attempting to defend my position...but since you asked;

The strike in Sudbury will almost certainly last until the new year and possibly much longer. I can't speak for the miners, but as a tradesman, I was already being compensated at a lower rate than the average in the industry, and have no intention of going back to work for less than what I was already making. You can forgot about me taking concessions, period. I can work in a safer (above ground) environment for the same or better compensation than I'll make in that pit of darkness and danger. Recession or not, skilled tradesmen are in demand and if they don't want to pay me market value...I'll do my thing for someone who appreciates what skilled labor is worth. That said, I love it underground and just want to go back to earning.

Sorry to go on and on, thanks for the interest.

I'm told that since the Brazilian takeover there's a cadre of young hotshots who think they can run the company according to their South American labour perspective. That's not going to make solutions easy. I'm sorry to hear that the chance looks good for a protracted strike - bad for the workers like you, bad for the local economy.

Best of luck with it; I hope something happens to change your prediction.

You're exactly right Jocko. They want to pay the most educated and productive miners in the world what they pay third world shovelers. It's not going to happen. The ore will stay in the ground until they figure out what it costs for a working person to provide for his family in this country. The fact that our government let this foreign company get it's claws into the resourses that belong to Canada's sons and daughters disgusts me, and makes me wonder why young people are dying defending a desert in the middle of hell, while we just give away what has value to invaders who never fired a shot.

Damned shame for sure. It's no use re-hashing things we all know. Suffice it to say that our governments - federal and provincial - only pay lip-service to a lot of important things. And turfing out one party in favour of another doesn't help.

Well, I hope you can find something else in the meantime, or at least have the resources to get in some good fishing and hunting.