OFN.. I NEED ADVICE!

Rich

well Rich. my buddy was there for a year on an HR gig and doing training and so forth. they even brought his fiance there and found her a job so he would come. After year 1 he get's an offer for 2-year (inc. house and everyting but food and clothing) so he takes it. 5 months later they say "we have to give your job to a local and need you to train them as it's a pollicy".

he man, you do what you want to do but watch out as every bait has a hook... ;)

I don't know your situation, but like the one guy said who has a wife and a kid...if the opportunities right and the factors are in your favor....how many chances do you get to travel and make money?

Go for it if you have nothing to loose!

If you're young and single do it for SURE. Life is short. Its an experience you'll likely not regret. Some advice...

- ensure your transit/moving is paid for both ways. If for whatever reason your stay is cut short (change in economy, immigration rules, whatever), they have to pay to get you back

- try to structure a flight (or a couple of them) home every year or so.

- look into the tax situation. It may be tax free there, but you are likely still on the hook here.

Edited by cram

Didn't you catch the crabs there or something???

Ha ha ha ha ha. Thanks , my coffee is all over me

Do your Homework and Id say go for it. Other wise 10 years from now you ll be saying. Gees I should of tryed. When I was in Germany we lived on the Economy, meaning we rented from the Germans vice staying on base. We learned German within a year, while some of my peers had no clue after three years. Best thing about it, we made some great friends who were German and we had great experience through them. Unfortunately (or Fortunately) I got promoted and returned to Chilliwack after one year. But it is an experience that my family would of never known if we hadn't tried. Another great thing is my Daughter was born there, I guess shes part German.

Coming from a guy who has expierence living in the carribean...Moved too Jamaica for 6 months to build villas on resorts...I would never do it again...like everybody says its a very expensive place to live...and believe me its not all One Love down there...first remember that its really a third world country...poverty is abundant there...and you being a white guy stealing a locals job they do not like...I was approached daily for "gratitude" so they call it we call it handouts, had my room robbed 3 times stole my mountain bike sandals and watch right out of my room which I'm sure hotel security was in on...I had people put there hands on me more times then I care to remember...A word of advice if its the same dollars you make here forget it...A nice place to visit but after 1 month I was ready to come home...is this Job on a resort?? Why are they hiring Canadian?? Surely they have qualified butchers there...seems odd...Stay home watch your baby grow up...it will be far more rewarding!!!!

Just from the posts so far, it appears that most of the people who have 1st hand or 2nd hand experience living down there have given you a fair warning and have said to look very seriously at the situation before making a decision, offering their own experiences to back up what they're saying. I'm not trying to sound condescending but, most of the people who are saying "go for it" seem to have little or no experience living there and have offered no info on living there. I think that should tell you something.

Also, are you the type that seeks world-wide life experiences? Or more of a home-body? Not everyone relishes in world travel and not everyone looks at life as a journey that must be fulfilled to acheive happiness. Not everyone has the need to experience the cultures of others. Only you can make that decision for yourself.

Good luck in whatever you do BBR :thumbsup_anim:

The tax situation is a really important factor to look into. I grew up in the grocery business and have done just about everything there is to do in a grocery store from pushing buggies to being a butcher. Check everything out thoroughly before you make a decision. Get as much information as possible. If you know how to bone meat, I know someone who is always looking for 'boners' (don't laugh, these are th guys that make all the profit for a meat business) in Toronto if you are looking for a change and he pays well and takes care of his people.

Well Rich, you've had the whole spectrum of responses. Probably not too helpful to you all in all.

Back in the day I was always up for any experience like that but with the benefit of hindsight consider these facts (or suggestions):

1. Bermuda is a very small isolated island so once you've seen all 20 square miles of it the new is over. You don't don't just hop on a quaint little train and ride down the line to go skiing in Zermat or Klosters or Innsbruck for a day or two. Side trips are the best part of spending time in a distant port.

2. I have been assured by folks who live and have lived there that it's a very expensive place to live. Food basics have to be brought in by container when the weather allows off-loading. We were without bread and milk for over 4 days on Grand Cayman one visit there. It's bigger than Bermuda and still has no production industries to speak, I understand there's a local bakery but it also dependent on off shore materials, and there are certainly a couple of brewhouses but no herds of cattle or goats for milk. Reason says Bermuda will be much the same.

3. I get the sense that the weather isn't necessarily tropical, the kind you'd get in, say, Grand Cayman or Tobago. Not to say it isn't nice, but remember, the nearest port offering major medical services is Boston. Look at a globe.

4. Check out the fishing offered. These islands are essentially mountains in the sea. Don't be surprised if the fishing involves boats going out to sea and that means expense. It also means giving up the kind of fishing you know and do best, probably better than most folks on this board. The Bass Hound wouldn't cut it if you know what I mean. ;)

5. Ask about any contract required before you agree to go. I can't remember the details from my own investigation, but it seems to me there was a minimum and maximum stay required for foreigners to get employment. They don't want folks coming there on a lark expecting to ditch the job if things don't go smoothly. It's a smart way of protecting the island society from an influx of rowdy fly by night types I suppose.

6. Finally, by all means talk to some folks who have actually lived there and get their impressions of the lifestyle. I was talked out of it by the same person who put me onto the opportunity in the first place. She and her husband now live and work in Canada and are quite happy to be here.

And if you consider all those things, and talk to folks with experience, and decide to go, then you'll be doing it well-informed, and there's less likelihood of disappointment.

So, all that being said, it might just be your adventure of a lifetime. All the best with it.

JF

Coming from a guy who has expierence living in the carribean...Moved too Jamaica for 6 months to build villas on resorts...I would never do it again...like everybody says its a very expensive place to live...and believe me its not all One Love down there...first remember that its really a third world country...poverty is abundant there...and you being a white guy stealing a locals job they do not like...I was approached daily for "gratitude" so they call it we call it handouts, had my room robbed 3 times stole my mountain bike sandals and watch right out of my room which I'm sure hotel security was in on...I had people put there hands on me more times then I care to remember...A word of advice if its the same dollars you make here forget it...A nice place to visit but after 1 month I was ready to come home...is this Job on a resort?? Why are they hiring Canadian?? Surely they have qualified butchers there...seems odd...Stay home watch your baby grow up...it will be far more rewarding!!!!

What you say about Jamaica is true as I have a Buddie that has Laisoned Military training there for the Jamaicans and he says its an extremely Dangerous country with lots of murders. However, can you say the same for Burmuda/Bahamas Like I said do your Homework. Too Bad that you cant go, say, a week ,with a sponser to make the decision. If your on a tedder todder, may be you can demand a house, hunting trip prior, or tell them its a No GO. Its your life.

Rich,

I've been reading all the good advice you have been getting. I know it does not make it any easier to decide!

I can't say the opportunity was ever offered to me before personally, but I know a few people who have worked in Bahamas and St. Lucia. They all felt the same about it. Nice to visit, but it gets old real quick! They were all only there for 3 months at a time as well, not three years!

3 years is a huge commitment.

Good luck, but think it over real well before deciding. JF has some solid advice for you.

I couldn't agree more to John F's post. I did a 3 year stint in Budapest Hungary in the 90's, so even though I'm not a Canadian citizen I think I can add some advice. After you check things out, if you think you might be interested go back to your boss and negotiate. My salary was doubled when I went to Budapest, and while my situation was somewhat different it was common for me to offer salary adjustments of up to 50% for employees that I brought over from the States. Don't be afraid to discuss a "stay" bonus, which is money they would pay you at the completion of the tour. Make sure your job back in Canada is guaranteed upon your return. As far as medical care is concerned we had insurance that included a chartered jet back to the US within 24 hrs. in the event any of our US employees had a medical emergency. Housing- negotiate, ours was paid. Travel back to Canada- I had two trips /year paid. Vacation- negotiate. In the end, if you get a deal that sounds good to you get everything in writing and take it to your attorney for review. Be adventurous but be smart too. If they want you they will negotiate and if not you're better off knowing up front before you turn your life upside down. You have a skill they need, don't sell yourself short.

When I was single without a kid I'd go for sure! Replace bass with snapper, and muskie with cudas!

I love Caribbean life, but its not for everyone thats for sure!

If they can find you a place to live at a low cost it could be good, but paying island rent is normally NOT cheap!

Edited by mepps

Rich, I don't know what you'll end up deciding, but I hope you the best either way. Nothing is all good or all bad, cherish what you have at the moment and that's what matters.

BTW, before you go (if you do decide to go), send me all your carp swim locations in great details ;-)

IMO traveling and getting away from home for 3 years is for people who dont like "home" or where they are from in the first place. Then again I can't make new friends in a strange place and I can't abandon people I love. And I laugh at all you guys who think Ontario tax is insane...come live in Quebec my friends...

Edited by Canucker

Sounds like it could be a fun experience. But think about this...you are working at your butchers shop in your hometown. You get laid off and later instead of getting a call back they bring in some shmuck from another country to do your job. How would you feel about that?

Wow .. lotta downers on this boat...

Rich... I did it ... with my wife and two kids (not Bermuda - but another small Island) .. for 2 years ...and not for the money ... and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat .. was it all disneyland ... no of course not .. it was LIFE ... but it was a life that really gave me and my kids a broader appreciation for what we have here in Canada ... and for what we dont .... my Bro-in-lo was in Bermuda for 2 years that got extended so many times we werent sure he'd ever come home ... with his wife .. and they had a child while there .... they're back now but as I said I am sure he could answer every question you have about being a Canadian living and working in Bermuda ... taxes, costs, housing , pubs, boating whatever

I love Ontario.

Basically I'd make the same money I make here,

Benefits, vacation, would all be the same.

I just don't know what to do! What would you do?

After reading your post and knowing you have a young child from posts in the past,

there is no question i would stay in Ontario for the child's sake.

Unless you really need to go....

I love Ontario.

Basically I'd make the same money I make here,

Benefits, vacation, would all be the same.

I just don't know what to do! What would you do?

Well here is my 2 cents bud,

Leaving will bring you no benefit aside from a tan, some fun in the sun and some cool salt water experience which sounds great!

Except when you add missing 3 years of your little ones early years into the equasion, and then you add the fact your happy where you are now...

After doing that math its a no brainer dude :dunno:

Seriously you couldn't pay me enough money to miss these years...

As tuff a pill as it is to swallow, there will ALWAYS be opportunities to travel, and try new things, but your kids are only kids for a short while.

Trust me freind you get on that plane and you'll be green with guilt with in a month of not seeing their face.

(at least I know I would)

I say stay in the greatest country in the world right here...

God has already given you the best job in this world...raising that son of yours...too many benefits to list...no amount of cutting meat in a strange land can compete with that...

No Kawartha Dairy ice cream cones down there...besides I for one would miss your reports from Ontario... :rolleyes: