Off to Lake Nipissing Northwest Bay

laszlo

So I'm off to Northwest Bay of Lake Nipissing on Saturday for 5 days.

I do know this section of the lake and do really well with smaller pike, largemouth and smallmouth bass.

This section of Nipissing is consistantly shallow (basicly one gigantic flat) and doesn't get deeper then 9 feet.

My question is...would musky be present in an area like this or would they primarily be in areas

that have access to deeper water / channels???

I haven't caught one yet and have gone up to this spot 5 different times now.

There is tons of structure though. Rock points, rock shoals, week beds and sunken islands.

There isn't very much traffic on the water either. Almost the entire south shore has no cottages.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I get at least one PB on this trip.

Largemouth PB - 20"

Smallmouth PB - 19"

Pike PB - 26"

Musky PB - 32"

Pickerel PB - 25"

If you know this area of Nipissing please let me know if I'm wasting my time targeting musky there.

Middle West Bay does look promising of all the spots.

Thanks

Laszlo

Edited by laszlo

This section of Nipissing is consistently shallow (basically one gigantic flat) and doesn't get deeper then 9 feet.

My question is...would musky be present in an area like this or would they primarily be in areas

that have access to deeper water / channels???If you know this area of Nipissing please let me know if I'm wasting my time targeting musky there.

Middle West Bay does look promising of all the spots.

Thanks

Laszlo

I've been in the West Bay of Nipissing for the past couple years fishing for musky. The areas I fish are just about the same depths as you described, maybe a foot or so either way. Pockets of weeds here and there. We like to just drift across the bay and the weed beds. If your area is similar, then I would suspect you would have musky in the area. I had one tanker follow my bait in to the boat just this past June and another couple fishing the same area landed one and hooked into two others I believe. Several were caught the week I was there - unfortunately, I was not among the successful anglers. I'd say to give it shot.

Where on the Northwest bay are you going....are you coming in from 17 @ Hagar?... Lavigne? Alban?...

with more info I can probably lend a hint or two...

I'll be at Camp Panorama just east of Lavigne. Northwest Bay is huge so I usually fish the entire south shore all the way east to

the back of middle west bay (great area for bass). On the north side I've gone as far as Camp LaPlage's Bay but not as far as Cache Bay.

Thanks for the response.

Laz

well I guess 'laszlio' is fishing for the big ones at this point ... will have to wait for his report.

however, in the meantime, I will be vacationing with the family in the same general area next week, and fishing in and around the Harwoods, Pickerel Rock, Cache Bay / Veuve River. Any local advise would be appreciated ... especially whether ANY Walleye, aka Pickerel are being caught in these areas at this time of year.

We also enjoy Perch fishing, but have seen very few in prior trips to this area in recent years. Not sure why? Have noted large Cormorant flocks in last few years that seemed to correspond with lack of Perch. Maybe that has something to do with it?

So bottom line, am I just wasting time targeting Walleye or have some of you had recent success in this area? What about Iron Island? We had some luck in August 4 or 5 years ago, but recently it has been dead there in mid August -- at least for us. Not wanting to venture that far out from Camp, unless there are fish being caught there. Any help and advise as to presentation techniques to get a couple of Pickerel to feed the 'Fam' would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Edited by JimC