Rice Lake

hoops12

I would pack some of the following baits; bucktail jigs for walleye, craw imitations, tubes, and white spinnerbaits for smallies, big worms (7"+), big jigs for largies.

The problem I found my first time on Rice was the panfish would hit almost anything. When I started going to bigger baits, I started getting big fish. One morning throwing big craw imitations in 9-12 FOW got me and my wife each a 4lb smallmouth. Now, there is a lot more largemouth water on Rice than smallmouth water, but throwing big baits on Rice is a must for either species of bass.

Was at Rice Lake, the Roseneath area, a little over a week ago. My cousin and I caught about 40 bass in the week, all with the same lure... a blue XRap rapala. medium retrieve, in 3-5' water, fishing shorelines. Almost all caught in evening, after 7pm. Let me know if you want more details. we did try other lures, but this lure has worked like magic for 3 straight years.

Good luck!

Mike

Yea, I get skunked every time on Rice (when I take a boat out) but I'm a rookie. As for shoreline around sunset, I have caught bass with topwaters like a chug bug. I do well in rivers, horrible in Lakes - experience I guess.

Lot of pressure on Rice, you have to know that.