In-Line Spinners

bigzinc10

Hey guys just purchased a mepps black fury #3 dressed, just to try something new. I have not used spinners before. For a small inline spinner such as this, is it recommended to put a swivel on the line? Also, when fishing a spinner, once it is cast you have to start reeling in right a way, correct?? Otherwise the weight on the lure will cause it to sink and potentially get caught on the floor bottom?? Also, do only larger fish go for such spinners?

I will be fishing Ken Whillans area in Caledon, Ontario this weekend. You think it will be able to catch fish here?

Thanks

YOu don't need a swivel (they don't roll like a spoon), but (a small one) likely doesn't hurt.

They are a great lure. Best in mornings, evenings, or overcast days. Or when its really wavy (cutting down the amount of light that goes into the water). Theoretically they are not as good in the middle of a super sunny day (when you should use silver/gold/chartreuse/white), but then some of my best fish were caught on dark lures in the middle of the sunny days.

Not trying to dissagree with you Cram....but in my experience you do get alot of line twist after a good days use, specialy if using braid. I use braid with a verry small swivel to attach a 18" flourocarbon leader. Just my 2cents worth. Or if i'm tying direct il use a snap swivel.

But have to agree this is one of the most versatile ures i have in my tackle box i also ike the reverse colour mepps aglia (chartreuse with black spots). I have caught Bass (LMB and SMB) , Walleye, Pike, Perch with these.......lethall for smallmouth if you can avoid getting a pike every cast!!!.

Not trying to dissagree with you Cram....but in my experience you do get alot of line twist after a good days use, specialy if using braid. I use braid with a verry small swivel to attach a 18" flourocarbon leader. Just my 2cents worth. Or if i'm tying direct il use a snap swivel.

But have to agree this is one of the most versatile ures i have in my tackle box i also ike the reverse colour mepps aglia (chartreuse with black spots). I have caught Bass (LMB and SMB) , Walleye, Pike, Perch with these.......lethall for smallmouth if you can avoid getting a pike every cast!!!.

Fair enough. I have never noticed, but then i have never used one for an extended period of time. I tend to switch it up all the time......probably my ADD :-).

Hey guys just purchased a mepps black fury #3 dressed, just to try something new. I have not used spinners before. For a small inline spinner such as this, is it recommended to put a swivel on the line? Also, when fishing a spinner, once it is cast you have to start reeling in right a way, correct?? Otherwise the weight on the lure will cause it to sink and potentially get caught on the floor bottom?? Also, do only larger fish go for such spinners?

I will be fishing Ken Whillans area in Caledon, Ontario this weekend. You think it will be able to catch fish here?

Thanks

It all depends what you're targetting. A #3 I'm assuming you're after bass and you should get a variety of size fish on it. If you're after strictly bigger fish you could go up the size. I've had some big bass hit #5 when pike fishing but for a versatile lure you can't go wrong with a #3 dressed.

inline spinners are pretty much my favourite type of lure to use (probably because I have caught alot of fish on them so I have more confidence). I use black furys and aglias alot.

Like others said, it would be better to use a swivel to avoid the line twist. As for the retrieval, it depends how deep you are fishing, if you're deep water, you can let it sink for a little before retrieving so you can get down deeper.

I have caught trout, pike, bass, crappie and panfish with these lures.

Thanks for your responses. I will try out the swivel. Forgot to mention that I will be primarily fishing off the shore, not a boat. So in this case, the waters will be relatively shallow calling for a faster, steady retrieval, correct?? If I put a floater on the line about a foot or two above the spinner will this effect the spinning action and defeat the purpose of the spinner??

Thanks for your responses. I will try out the swivel. Forgot to mention that I will be primarily fishing off the shore, not a boat. So in this case, the waters will be relatively shallow calling for a faster, steady retrieval, correct?? If I put a floater on the line about a foot or two above the spinner will this effect the spinning action and defeat the purpose of the spinner??

It definitely would effect the action imo. Just keep your rod tip up when reeling in to keep it running shallow. Alternatively pointing the rod tip down will make it run deeper.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i would definitely purchase some small swivels and don't buy cheap ones.

the black fury is one of my favourite brook trout spinners.

ummm, i just use those clip on swivel deals and hook right onto the spinner... but other swivels, about 2-3 inches should be fine? but it also depends on what your going for too....

Edited by bigredneck

How far up from the spinner is it recommended to put the swivel??

I use brad tied a small swivel, then add 18" or more fluoro leader and tie directly to the spinner. The bass in my friends ponds love spinners.

Edited by DanielM

It definitely would effect the action imo. Just keep your rod tip up when reeling in to keep it running shallow. Alternatively pointing the rod tip down will make it run deeper.

I agree. I just started playing around with them this year in my 1-2' creek. Obviously I don't want a lot of sinkage but it surprised me how slowly I could get away with retrieving and not lose it on the bottom. The shiny flutter of mine (silver blade) was easy to follow in the water. I could see the little taps and the hits clearly. I found that I got about the same results whether I did the slowest possible retrieve or burned it. I think though that just a little faster than sink rate was optimal. I caught the biggest rock bass I've ever seen that way on a #2 Worden (same idea as Mepps although it seems closer to a #1 Mepps in size, or perhaps I got the size wrong in the first place :P ) and lots of dink smallmouths. I've ordered some #3 in the same style (but Mepps) with silver blade and black-dressed treble. I'm curious to see if they get as much attention as the little bitty Worden.

JF

I was fishing yesterday with the mepps in-line spinner with no swivel. After maybe 30 casts I noticed that the mono line started to fray or shread about 8 inches above the spinner. Now is this the result of line twist and not using a swivel or did the line probably just rub up against something in the water??

I was fishing yesterday with the mepps in-line spinner with no swivel. After maybe 30 casts I noticed that the mono line started to fray or shread about 8 inches above the spinner. Now is this the result of line twist and not using a swivel or did the line probably just rub up against something in the water??

Either rubbing on something on the bottom (Zebra mussels are a PITA) or maybe your tip-top eye has a burr.

Sounds like you contacted sometime abrasive down there. I've never seen line fray from twist.

If you are worried still worried about line twist, always buy the best ball bearing swivels you can. No swivel eliminates line twist but the better quality ones are worth the money. For bass, I tie one directly to my 8 lb Fireline and then tie a piece of Seaguar 12 lb flouro about two foot long on the other side of the swivel. I tie whatever I want directly to the flouro leader and away I go. That'll keep the twist down but I have noticed if I tie a snap-swivel on the end of the leader and clip my lure to that it keeps even more twist out for longer periods. Sometimes the extra weight and the slipping action of the snap kills the action on crank baits though, so watch that.

There was a suggestion in In-Fisherman this month about "bulging" a Mepps spinner just below the surface as a top-water bait for bass. I'm gonna try that next time I'm out.

Spinners are versatile lures with the ability to catch anything that swims. Classic. I've caught panfish, bass, crappies, pike, musky, lots of trout, salmon, even carp & sheephead on them. If you're gonna throw it for a while, put a decent barrel swivel about 12 inches up the line.