Fish-a-Thon For Cancer - Help A Good Cause

Hey Guys,

I don't believe there's a need for me to explain why doing a Fish-a-Thon for Cancer is a good cause, as unfortunately, I'm sure most of you have felt the effects of this vicious diseases in some way or another in your life. I for one have lost to many family members to Cancer over the years, and now, it has struck our family once again.

Ginny's (my wife for those who are new around here) Grandmother has just been diagnosed with terminal Cancer. The doctors can't do anything to help her, and have given her only a couple of months, at most to live. She's a VERY talented artist, and a loving grandmother to say the least. It's a shame that my children won't have the pleasure of even remembering her, as they're just to young.

Myself and Grandma Anderson partying it up last weekend.

IMG_4197_2.jpg

Grandma with my kids and their cousins.

IMG_3991.jpg

Although I can't do anything to help her out directly, this has kick-started me into organizing an event that I've wanted to do for some time. Here's the deal.

The First Annual South Western Ontario Fish-a-Thon for Cancer.

Date: August 15th, 2009

Time: 6 A.M to 6 P.M.

Rules for Participants: Print off Pledge Form, get pledges from family and friends, fish for 12 hours strait, no break except for food (on the water) and washroom breaks. (if you arrive late, we can bend the rules, after all, it is a charity event, not the Bassmaster Classic)

Minimum Pledge: 1 cent (because every penny counts)

The funds raised will be donated to Dave Mercer's Casting for a Cure, which will in turn be donated to the Canadian Cancer Society.

This whole thing is happening very fast because I'd like to see it become a reality before Ginny's grandmother passes away. Hopefully we can work out the kinks this year, generate some decent donations for a good cause, and lay out the ground work for a great annual fishing event.

I'm also looking into setting up a BBQ and bonfire for a post fishing get together for the participants. Any other ideas are welcome and PLEASE try to participate in some way if you're able to.

If you live to far away to participate as a "Fish-a-Thoner" and are willing and able to make a pledge to myself, please PM me, and I will be glad to ship you a pledge form to fill out along with a return shipping envelope and stamp. Tax receipts can be issued for $20.00 pledges or more, but any pledge is top notch.

I'll leave it at that for now, ask questions, give me some pointers, make pledges, just keep this topic going because I'd like this to be more than just a few fishing bums on the water for the day. It's a simple event, that gives us anglers a chance to help out and have fun at the same time. I hope, if you can, you decide to participate in any way possible.

Cheers,

Ryan Bonin

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

HEY OFNER'S!! I GOT MY FIRST OFC PLEDGE, AND IT'S A BIG ONE!!! :o

A very special thanks goes out to a stand up OFNER, JohnF, for stepping up to the plate and getting the ball rolling! :worthy:

I know time's are tough for many of us right now, but as I said, every penny counts, so please help out if you can.

Anyone who's from Southwestern Ontario, and needs a good excuse to get out fishing for the day, this is your ticket for a full

day on the water! PM me for detail about the location or anything else.

Keep 'em comin!

Thanks again for your time guys!

Ryan

Count me in 100%

Is Deer Creek big enough for my boat?

Awesome Dan! PM me your e-mail and I'll send you over a pledge form so you can hit up some friends and family for pledges!

Boat size doesn't matter, no gas motors allowed though. I know some people who work there and might be able to have them allow our Participants at least leave their motors bolted on but turned off. Worst case scenario I can get my hands on a couple of tinny's for people who can't get their bigger rigs in. I chose Deer Creek because it won't leave out those who only have canoes or kayaks. I have a 15 footer and have had to miss out on days on Long Point due to weather.

There's been several 6+ pound Largies caught on Deer Creek in the past couple of weeks. I figure it's all in fun so we can get on the cell phones and share info on catching fish so everybody has a stellar day.

Species:

Largemouth Bass

Rainbow Trout

Brown Trout

Big Bluegill

Crappie

Big Carp

Rock Bass

Perch

I'll get some pics up of recent catches tomorrow! Gotta put the kids to bed!

Cheers,

Ryan

Dude, I say everyday I gotta call you about this, then forget. I will call you tomorrow! LOL After work. FB me to remind me or sumthin.

Oh yeah, and obviously I'M THERE!

No worries brother! I'll e-mail you a pledge form this morning. I'm sure if you hit the lake hard for 12 hours you're bound to hook into a 5+ pounder! haha The 2 recent hogs I know of were both caught on Waky Rigs in the trees... ;)

Get ahold of me later so we can sort out some details. I need an OFC wingman to take care of sending forms and such while I'm in Vegas with Ginny this weekend!

Cheers,

Ryan

UPDATE:

We've got 4 OFNER Participants in the Fish-a-Thon and a few more Pledges guys! Thanks to those who've PM'd me.

Keep them comin' folks! Skip your Timmies and pledge a buck or two..... ;) ok maybe that was a little overboard, can't skp timmies, but gather what you can, if you can!

Cheers,

Ryan

Some info that might get you guys interested in joining in - There's a species and structure type for everyone...even if you only have a canoe or Yak.

THE LAKE:

80 Acre Reservoir

45+ Foot of Water

STRUCTURE: Trees, Weed beds, Slop, Rip Rap, Sand Flats, Points, Creek Mouths, Docks, Bays, Damn Etc. Deep Clear Water

gallery_133_237_15207.jpg

gallery_133_237_71620.jpg

THE FISH:

Here's a few from the past couple of weeks:

Recent Catches posted on a local board...

DeerCreek002.jpg

deercreekbuckets_4.jpg

My Recent Catches

DSCF0507.jpg

DSCF0511.jpg

DSCF0519.jpg

And earlier outings from the same lake:

IMG_2323.jpg

55lbsdeercreekbucketmouth.jpg

gallery_133_237_104526.jpg

gallery_133_237_72155.jpg

n502461579_1748356_8386.jpg

Here's a link to the Conservation Area's Website. It's $10.00 Per car for the day. That includes your launch, parking and use of the park. http://www.lprca.on.ca/dcca.html

There's a beach, swings for the kids, pinic area's, trails, and more.

Cheers, Ryan

Well thanks to the generosity of some OFNER's I was able to line up a few prizes for the event.

A ) Prize for most pledges

B ) Draw for a prize to be given to one of the "Pledgers"

C ) Prize for Biggest fish for participants

Thanks again OFC.

Cheers,

Ryan

STATS SO FAR:

OFC Pledge Donations:

1) John F

2) T.J.

3) TDUNN

OFC Participants "Fish-a-Thoner's"

1) The Urban Fisherman

2) Rich Sims

3) Dan Bouck

4) Bassaholic

5) Splashopper

Non OFC Participants: "Fish-a-Thoner's"

1) Jason Meester

2) Joe Meester

3) Shawn Beaumont

Prizes for:

1) 1 Pledger (draw)

2) Fish-a-Thoner with most Pledges

3) Fish-a-Thoner with biggest fish

FREE MINNOWS FOR PARTICIPANTS

C'mon guys - I know we can get more than 3 OFC pledges!

Cheers and thanks again,

Ryan

Another OFC Pledge From Sandbag!

Thanks dude - good job steppin' up and donating to the fight against Cancer!

Ginny and I are heading to LAS VEGAS this afternoon guys - so Rich said he'd be able to send out pledge forms and such while I'm away. Shoot him a PM if you need anything and I'll be back to bug you guys next Thursday evening.

Cheers,

Ryan