st. mary's salmon?

redneck666

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

for the atlantics i think you'd want to be down there already. if you are speaking of the pacific salmon then you'd be looking at the peak of the run occurring in late august, early september. truthfully, i'd be down there early if you want nice feeder fish!

lots of the soo locals use buzz bombs when fishing from shore although i've always been more akin to using lighter, less likely to snag presentations with cleos and pixies.

i hope this was helpful but the question is pretty vague.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

kings are one if the pacific salmon. they will start arriving shortly (although i've heard of a few caught already)...pinks will be late august/early september... i myself am more concerned with the return of steelhead to the north shore of superior. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

lol well, i'd like to get into some steelhead too, what are some good methods that dont involve fly fishing around the locks??? actually a guy in a different forum told me this: "Try using a bottom bouncing setup with roe bags to catch the steelhead. Attach pencil lead suspended on a five-inch tag of line from a three-way swivel about 40 or 50 inches above your spawn sack. You need to use light line and cast out far to get good bites at the rapids this time of the year". is this a good way to catch em?

Edited by bigredneck

As the good Dr. said, the atlantics are there right now.

Pinks, Chinooks and Cohos aka Pacifics come mid to late august, still a few weeks off.

I hate buzz bombs and use the little cleo approach.

As for steelhead, if you have chest waders, you're gonna want to hit the rapids on whitefish island.

Drifting roe is far better than bottom bouncing from what i've seen and heard.

I plan on spending the fall and winter trying out my new steelhead gear in the rapids.

justin that sounds like a snag master and more of a hassele then anything. i really like using the 2/5 or 3/4 little cleos in rainbow, hammered silver/green, hammered silver/blue and for the pixies i've used the silver and pink. also mepps #3 or #4 aglias or blue fox vibraxs.

As the good Dr. said, the atlantics are there right now.

Pinks, Chinooks and Cohos aka Pacifics come mid to late august, still a few weeks off.

I hate buzz bombs and use the little cleo approach.

As for steelhead, if you have chest waders, you're gonna want to hit the rapids on whitefish island.

Drifting roe is far better than bottom bouncing from what i've seen and heard.

I plan on spending the fall and winter trying out my new steelhead gear in the rapids.

theres a problem right there, i dont have chest waiders but im not afraid to get into water up to my nuts either, lol thats how i get my brooks from the creeks. it does make it a little uncomfortable for the bike ride home though!

theres a problem right there, i dont have chest waiders but im not afraid to get into water up to my nuts either, lol thats how i get my brooks from the creeks. it does make it a little uncomfortable for the bike ride home though!

LMAO...you ain't never been to the rapids have you

Insulated waders, sock feet with felt sole boots.

Anything else is uncomfortable and dangerous

St Marys rapids flow at approximately 500,000 gallons per second (3000 m3/sec)with a 20' vertical drop in about a 1 km length. It is not a trout creek.

I thinh Dr Sal would know the specs better. I'm kinda guessing

Edited by Dara

oh i've caught a couple 20+lbs salmon outta the rapids last fall. but i dont really see how the not having waders is dangerous...?

well, its pretty cold, and neoprenes help you float if you fall down

Edited by Dara

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

before i could drive a car i used to fish it in summer in my old sneakers and swim shorts. many an atlantic salmon made a fool of me and my 6.5 foot shimano combo from CTC. i definitely wouldn't venture back there now without waders. rivers about 60 deg F right now... lol

here's a site from the american side that gives some basic info about what's going on in the river...

http://www.lssu.edu/arl/conditions.php

That wade was alright until you hit one hole, eh luc. I could never put a more than an hour or too without waders, it gets cold after a while.

Ahh the salmon run at the locks, Im gonna miss that circus. I saw some amateur biologists trying to strip dirty old black hookjawed males for spawn last year. "must be spawned out" they opined.

Enjoy the jackassery fellas

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

one hole was definitely too many...

i can't wait to see the garbage bag posse come out of the woodworks.

once a year these fanatical anglers dust off their old 1980's brownings and go downtown to bag watermarked pinks and black as coal chinooks.

Mmmmmmmmmmm... Mile 11 on the garden is the same. A ton of americans bagging zombie salmon to take home and eat...those that don't get immediately cooked up on the charmaster 3000.

screw salmon.

steel and 'hos are coming!

hahaha garbage bag posse!

i swear when the salmon are running its a full moon cause all the weirdos come out! i say the farther away from the bus terminal the better if you even dare going down there haha!! They all think that your a fellow fisher so you are their best friend and they always tell you their life story and that they are amazing fisherman when they are using these monster rod and reels from 1980 and 50lb test that looks even older casting out buzz bombs.You never want to catch a fish around them either cause they all start walking over to you like zombies to come talk to you to see the fish and see what your using. catch a fish and run!!!

It is pretty funny.

Orest must love it. A lineup out the door of people buying buzzbombs.

A thousand "anglers" trying to snag a pink that is so soft the hook pulls right through it. Then somebody hooks into a King and the lines are all tangled.

Gotta hand it to the city for making the fishing platform, complete with downrigger mounts.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

trying to get out fishing somewhere today but it's tough to find a dance partner when it's a thursday and it's raining.

trying to get out fishing somewhere today but it's tough to find a dance partner when it's a thursday and it's raining.

Its not raining here...I'm trying for tonight, but I gotta get a coat of varnish on some boxes first, then if its not raing...eyes at lake george or atlantics at the tail race?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
How long will it take me to get from Montreal to where your fishing? lol

if you're bob gainey, and can take out the team jet, perhaps we have a date!