Float Rod & Feeder Rod

TC1OZ

I'm going to my first fishing tournament next weekend. (shore fishing)

Obviously I don't plan on winning, but I don't want to show up looking like a complete idiot...

A very kind man who is running the event has suggested to make sure I bring a float rod & and feeder rod.

Now I am assuming a float rod is just a really long rod? Used for casting out float setups?

And I can not figure out what the hell a feeder rod is... I assume its just a rod I toss out and it sinks while dispersing food? (chumming?)

Anyone got tips and suggestions...

He suggested I go see Denis at my local Tackle shop...but he wasn't there last Saturday and I due to my work/his hours I can't see him till this Saturday....anyone have any advice for me?

Basically it's bottom fishing, with a weighted cage stuffed with ground bait. The bait you use is put right on a small hook with a 12-20" leader from the swivel. The rod has 3 tips, usually 1oz, 2oz, 3oz. You watch the tip for bumps, twitches, or quivers, feeder is also call the quiver tip. Check out the Daiwa at http://newworldcarp.com.

I was at a walleye tourny. For the area you will be fishing this weekend a feeder is going to be tough because the bottom is very very muddy and everything will sink down making it tougher to register a good bite unless you set up a bolt rig. I'd suggest a pop up with about a 6-8 inch lead fished over your chum, the idea of the bolt rig opposed to the feeder is that the carp will hook itself but with your feeder it may not be heavy enough and you will probally just have the carp drop the bait. If it was me fishing there I'd bring a couple decent steelhead or salmon style rods in 10-13 foot length and fish with a float suspended over your chum. Just make sure to find bottom where you plan on baiting and keep your bait about 3 inches from bottom I'd also try fishing small worms with one kernel of corn on the hook. If you choose to fish bottom then go light so you don't lose your bait in the mud just a plain splitshot and hook will work and if you can keep a piece of breaqd on the hook you will be golden. Try and talk with Andrew he will help you out also, maybe I will see you at our next match it's at NET resort on August 9th. Good Luck :D