New Spinning Combo Needed - Best Value

T-Bone

It appears I'm going to need a new spinning rod/reel set-up for an upcoming trip for 'eyes on Lake Kipawa...the old Shimano and Berkely Lightning rod are ready for retirement.

I already have my 'primary' walleye set-up with an Okuma spinning reel and St. Croix Premier rod...I love that set-up. What I need is a secondary set-up.

With that said, what would you recommend as a good performance / high-value reel and rod set-up? I want to try and keep it around $100 for both, and definitely want a 6' one-piece rod.

The Shimano Spirex with Cabela's Fish Eagle II rod looks okay, but I thought I'd check here first.

Let me know your thoughts....and thanks.

well i've caught just about everything and lots of it on my $30 set up. its just a quantum IR-8 graphite rod and a quantum 3 bearing spinning open faced reel. OH and i've landed a few nice 20+ pound salmon on that thing, with 12 lbs berkley big game line. but ya that combo sounds good to me

i very nice setup is the shimano sojourn for $39.99 at crappy and order the shimano synocate 2500 spinning reel or the spirex if you wanna spend a bit more but i dont like the double handle on the spirex. a great place for getting the rod and reel is ebay, lots of great deals. i got my synocate for $9.50 new. i wouldnt settle or a cableas rod and go with the shimano.

I would go pick up a Pflueger President Reel/Bass Pro Extreme XPS Rod Combo from bass pro. They are on sale for 109.99 right now. I bought my brother one of these combos for being my best man and let me tell you it works amazingly well. I am thinking about going and getting the 7' MH combo for myself. The reel is so smooth.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'll second the pflueger. for their price, the 10 bearing president is a fantastic reel.

compliment it with a 40 dollar rod and i think you'd be pleased with the performance. i am.

my old man actually bought a rod combo from bass pro, im not sure what the reel is but its a 9 bearing system, the rod was a bass pro brand, and the combo cost about $109.50 and while we were laker fishing earlier this year he caught a snag and his drag was set pretty darn loose and the tip broke..... so now hes got a $10 6'6" fibreglass from crappy tire and he's been catching pike like crazy on that thing. and i've been helpin myself to it for whiteifsh and that thing is pretty darn amazing for me to feel them tiny little bites..... if you can call them bites. lol

I was at BPS and I was very very impressed with the new rapala spinning rod. It was on for 49.99. You can get a cardinal 502 at ctc for 47.99 this week I believe. That would keep your total at or near to $100.

At BPS there is another BPS rod with pflueger reel for 69.99. It wasn't bad and you can choose your rod legth and action

Yup get the Cardinal 502 for 49.95 on sale at Canadian Tire. I also picked up a Fenwick rod on Sale at Canadian tire for 49.95. Trust me, I gave it the old Holdy rod test in the store and the tip held up. Not so much on the Shimanos. If theyre out of Fenwicks, get Uglystik like Coach says, Berkleys Lightning or Cherrywoods for about 40 Dollars. Careful on the Rapalas, the tips are brittle. Other reels to consider might be a Mitchell 300s, Daiwa Samurai for less than $100 with the rod.

Yup I agree, Ugly stick, Lightning rod, Cherrywood. However there is a great deal at Canadian Tire for an ABU Garcia 502 for 50 dollars as well as a Fenwick rod which I bought for the same price. Your buying a 200 dollar outfit for 100 dollars plus the tax. Best deal anywhere at a store.

Edited by holdfast