Is balsam always windy??

Rizzo

Wife is away for a few days...perfect time to take a day off work for some fishing! Decided to go to Balsam in search of toothy esox. Left Barrie around 5 a.m. and was on the water shortly after 6. Water was approx 71 degrees. Day started off pretty well with a small musky (32 inches?) falling for a trolled shallow raider in firetiger over 18 feet of water. And then came the wind. Every time I go to Balsam it just howls. I don't think I've ever left there dry (should have bought a boat with a full windshield!). I couldn't have been wetter after an upwind trolling pass. Next fish (37 inches?) fell victim to a jig (I got tired of getting soaked and decided to drift). Finally, around 4 p.m. a healthy 42 inch musky smashed a suick at boatside. Couldn't even see it coming due to the waves I was battling, hit the bait with only around 10 feet of line out. Nothing fights like a musky on a short leash. So end count was 1 trolling, 1 jigging, and 1 casting. Unfortunately no camera as the wife took it with her when she went away so no inches for team 9, but I'm sure we'll do better than 42 anyways (knock on wood)!

so windy 3 out of 4 times for you too, Cram. I agree it helps with the fishing generally, but come on, I get tossed around on that lake a little too much. Last year I was there one time and it got so bad I actually tied off to some guy's dock on Grand Island and hid under his cottage to wait out a storm. I had tried to make a run back to the launch, but when the waves started to come over the front of the boat I headed for the nearest shelter! I wasn't alone under there either, there were birds and some other creatures hanging out down there while the storm went on. Come to think of it, the one time on Balsam I got totally skunked (ie not even an incidental bass or walleye) was on a day where the water was like glass...guess I shouldn't complain about the wind.

Man, it has been windy in Ontario for the past 4 years. I think it is a global phenomenon because when I used to wakeboard in the middle east I could do it whenever I wanted but the last 2 years I was there it always blew up after 9 am. Same here too.

I hate too much wind.

I have not had a good year there, glad someone is catching fish there

That's my first trip to Balsam this year, sounds like I hit it at the right time...but isn't that a big part of musky fishing - timing.

GCD that was hilarious...accurate assessment, but hilarious