Thunder bay brookies

troutboy

Stillwater Creek near Nipigon is great, but you'll have to find access points. There is park of the same name off the highway going into Nipigon with some good pools. You'll have to pay but it can't be very much at all.

If you just look between Nipigon and Thunder Bay, most every creek will hold Brookies. I found some great ones when I lived up there and I only had a bicycle.

Edited by Jet

Stillwater Creek near Nipigon is great, but you'll have to find access points. There is park of the same name off the highway going into Nipigon with some good pools. You'll have to pay but it can't be very much at all.

If you just look between Nipigon and Toronto, most every creek will hold Brookies. I found some great ones when I lived up there and I only had a bicycle.

i only had a bike a couple years ago too and i have found some great brookie creeks in sault ste. marie. in this town theres lots of creeks but a few will hold and impress, usually you gotta hike into the good holes (usually getting your feet wet). haha and some great canyons to walk through too! one of the best experiances i have had just hiking up west davington creek to a spring, very neat hike and rewarding!

anyhow good luck!

oh forgot to mention, if the creek is colder than that is great!

Edited by bigredneck

Thanks,I might try cascades conservation area ,or the part of the macintyre river that flows through confederation college, I saw some photos in a bait shop of a guy with what seemed to be a 5lbs brookie from boulivard lake dam? Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by troutboy

:canadian::canadian::Gonefishing:
Thanks,I might try cascades conservation area ,or the part of the macintyre river that flows through confederation college, I saw some photos in a bait shop of a guy with what seemed to be a 5lbs brookie from boulivard lake dam? Can anyone confirm this?

The fish in Boulivard are the brood stock from the hatchery. They aren't very pretty nor would that be any good to eat. The Current River up from the Boulivard is an excellent place for brookies in town. McVickar Creek also has brook trout. Park at Centennial and start there.

As far as out of town. As Jet mentioned, anywhere creek/river between TBay and Nipigon do hold brook trout.

Thanks, ive heard that the mouth of the current river is good, im not sure if its the mouth that gose into boulivard lake or the mouth at lake superier?If I do fish at boulivard just for the fun of it what would I use? Worms, minnows or spinners?

Edited by troutboy

Yup, little Cleo's work, lots of sizes and colors, caught trout(all species), salmon, pike, bass, and even a walleye and a perch on one. Have used them jigging for lakers in the winter also. Mepps spinners, silver and gold blades work well, along with panther martens in the same colored blades, and Vibrax spinners as well. The panther martens are great for faster water, their blade pattern allows you to hold it in the current without it sinking too much. As well, in deeper pools, just chuck it in and let it sink, the blade will turn in a helicopter like fashion and sink slowly.

http://www.acmetackle.com/scripts/littlecleo_colors.html

I am partial to the plain silver and blue myself, sometimes silver and chartreuse or red, not hammered. Silver and blue is the go to one, they are trout, they love blue for whatever reason.

• 3 weeks later...