Anyone else flooded in the Hammer? N/F

pikehunter

Went out Sunday for a drive to the Falls or where ever we would end up at. Started out nice but it soon clouded over however we were just ahead of the storm all along our drive on the old #8 HWY through the peninsula and hadn't a clue how bad things were in Hamilton. the cell phone rang and it was our son calling to say he was going to be late coming home because he was stuck in traffic as the Red Hill Parkway was shut down in both directions, probably due to an accident. Told him thanks for calling and we weren't home anyway. He says well I tried the home phone and it wouldn't work. I thought that was weird but would deal with it later.

We continued on our way enjoying the drive. I called him again on the cell and he says the reason the road was closed and he was trapped was because it was flooded just ahead. He had locked the car up and walked down the HWY and saw the water and a cop was standing in it waist deep.

Well we didn't arrive home until later and PH JR. was already home with lots of stories to tell. Later my wife sent him downstairs to the deep freezer to get a pizza out for a light supper. He steps down to the basement and soaks his feet on wet carpeting. The sewer drain had backed up. Now I knew why a bunch of neighbours had been standing out at the curb when we arrived home. Turns out the whole street had the same thing happen, some worse than others, but all were effected in some way.Turns out the entire east end was hit hard with about 4" of rain in less than a couple of hours falling on already saturated ground.

Now it's time to deal with the insurance and the restoration contractor. Luckily not all was lost in the basement but it will have to be redone, walls, sub flooring, carpet, etc.

I'm just curious to hear if anyone else in the same situation?

Sorry for the long winded tale, but it is an eye opener!

No flood damage but I was working at the weather office in Mount Hope on Sunday.

I officially measured 56mm of rain between 1300-1700Z. By far the largest rainfall in such a short span that I've ever measured.

I too was stuck in the traffic trying to get back home to Grimsby....not too thrilled with that.

It was nasty. I basicly live right next to the redhill express,king exit and it was completely flooded. i didnt know about it because i was lounging around the house nursing a hangover,then got a call from a friend telling me to run up the street and check it out. then got a call from my girlfriend who was on her way home from work telling me she was stuck up on the skyway (she was on it for 3 hours or so)

i checked it out and it was something else.

when i got back home i went to my basement and it was soaked. so spent the rest of the day trying to dry it all up,made sure i got my guitars and power bars etc off the floor.

no serious damage. soaked carpets thats about it.

I feel for my fellow Hammer-tonians who are now dealing with the aftermath of flooded basements.

I just had to help my Mom mop a bit of water that creeped into her basement( unfinished )in the east end of the city and I considered us very lucky compared to others.