Trailering 15' bass boat with 2006 Jetta?

MSBruno

If the Jetta's :asshat: sits too low after the boat is hitched ..consider looking for an airbag kit for the rear ..

As for power you have plenty...braking ability as well and not to mention the MPG's

I have a 02 Jetta TDI and am looking closely to this report 'cause I'm looking at putting some Airbags and a Hitch on mine...

I sell parts for a living and haven't met anyone yet that tows more than a utility trailer with theirs..

................................................................................

.................................................................................

I've found the part # for the airbag suspension kit for your Jetta ..

Firestone part #4175 ..should be able to purchase at any Keystone dealer for about 119.00

Reese Insta-Hitch part # 77128, 2000lb GTW / 200Lb tongue weight @ about 189.00 plus install , ball and receiver and pin.

RFS

:canadian:

im new to the site but this seems to come up about every 10 days or so. check 'i shouldn't tow anything with a compact car' or 'no matter what other member neighbours have got away with'

Uh, the Jetta isn't a compact car, lol.

I towed my oldmans 15' Legend along with a 40hp 4stroke Honda with my Jetta TDI all the time before I picked up my truck.

Handles it with ease and I've use some REALLY crappy boat launches..

No need for airbags on the rear either, doesn't load up the rear suspension as you would suspect.

it aint an SUV either. my buddy towed a 38' houseboat with an aerostar from hamilton to temagami. :worthy::worthy: awesome. probably wont see the towing companies switching over.

i wish i had pics to share with you

Edited by smally21

it aint an SUV either. my buddy towed a 38' houseboat with an aerostar from hamilton to temagami. :worthy::worthy: awesome. probably wont see the towing companies switching over.

i wish i had pics to share with you

Now THAT is crazy!!!! I am laughing just thinking about it :)

No need for airbags on the rear either, doesn't load up the rear suspension as you would suspect.

[/quote

I have a new :asshat: on my 02 Jetta TDI and still sits kinda low...just the design I guess.....

I wanna add air bags for peace of mind..

And you're right... outlast outperform and outMPG's the competition hands down ..it's not [the average] compact car.

Propane Injection next week .....hold on to your :asshat:

RFS

Propane Injection next week .....hold on to your :asshat:

RFS

Nice Randy! My 99.5 (First model year of the MKIV body) has been hopped up a little.

Bosio Sprint 502 nozzles, 11mm pump, PD150 intake manifold, Technine Stg II chip tune.

Last dyno it put down 150hp/251ftlbs :) I even have a Youtube vid of it.

Nozzles are the best bang for you buck upgrade to these cars.. 10-15hp, 30-40ftlbs and a good 5% increase in mileage. They range in price from $150CAD up to $300US or so...

I'm a diehard TDI nut if you haven't figured it out yet.

I taught Safety for 25yrs[among other things....so

Car rated for 1500lbs

Boat, motor,& gas = 1200lbs

Add weight of passengers and fishing tackle? I'd think you are over your limit.

And, the Cops are making checks this year.

Good luck, but dont do it,use the truck.

You will be fine. Jettas are strong. I used to have one. It was a 1998 similar to this one being used as a delivery truck. Thay have a good payload (as seen in the pic). Pic taken in at Angus Home Hardware.

jettaloaded.jpg

I taught Safety for 25yrs[among other things....so

Car rated for 1500lbs

Boat, motor,& gas = 1200lbs

Add weight of passengers and fishing tackle? I'd think you are over your limit.

Where did you get car rated for 1,500lbs?

The owners' manual says 1500lbs is max towing capacity.

Max towing capacity doesn't = total vehicle rated capacity. He should be able to tow the boat and normal gear and people and still remain within legal capacity. Best to check first though. Although legal it still doesn't mean it's a great set up.

Rick

I love these can I tow threads.

Last week when I was in Caledon I saw a guy towing a boat that must have been 30-32 feet the type you see charter captains using on the great lakes the guys tow vehicle was an old ford mini van had to be 10-15 years old and by the looks like it was way past it`s prime.

People tow illegal unsafe loads all the time I just wish there was more enforcement.

I would imagine the car companys put a 1000 lbs tow rating on cars for a reason and I am guessing it`s not a horsepower or torque thing.

I can`t wait for the can I tow my new boat with my smart car thread.

And don`t worry if you get stuck on a ramp I am sure someone with a proper tow vehicle will pull you out.

Edited by lookinforwalleye

The good thing about this 'Can I tow' thread is that the car the OP is talking about is rated to easily tow the boat he is talking about :)

But of course if you don't have a truck, you shouldn't be towing anything, lol.

Where did you get car rated for 1,500lbs?

Max towing capacity doesn't = total vehicle rated capacity. He should be able to tow the boat and normal gear and people and still remain within legal capacity. Best to check first though. Although legal it still doesn't mean it's a great set up.

Rick

Max towing capacity is usually listed as the weight towed behind an empty vehicle with one 150lb driver, no other cargo in the trunk or passengers. Any extra cargo and passengers must be subtracted from the max tow weight. Tongue weight must also be included in the calculation. The biggest problem with unibody type vehicles is that there is no actual frame to bolt the trailer hitch to, it's mostly attached to body sheet metal. Check the owners manual, it's listed under towing. If you don't have a manual, go see your closest dealer, otherwise you may be seeing your dealer for repairs that aren't covered by opinions.

The good thing about this 'Can I tow' thread is that the car the OP is talking about is rated to easily tow the boat he is talking about :)

But of course if you don't have a truck, you shouldn't be towing anything, lol.

In your opinion why do Mfg`ers put a 1000 lb tow capcity on cars?? I don`t think they just pulled that number out of their arse!!

Maybe I should sell my tow vehicle and tow with my Buick Allure going up a hill may be a little tough but down hill should be a breeze I could slipper into neutral and save tons on gas.

Max towing capacity is usually listed as the weight towed behind an empty vehicle with one 150lb driver, no other cargo in the trunk or passengers. Any extra cargo and passengers must be subtracted from the max tow weight. Tongue weight must also be included in the calculation. The biggest problem with unibody type vehicles is that there is no actual frame to bolt the trailer hitch to, it's mostly attached to body sheet metal. Check the owners manual, it's listed under towing. If you don't have a manual, go see your closest dealer, otherwise you may be seeing your dealer for repairs that aren't covered by opinions.

Both my vehicle manuals disagree with your figures. One Ford and one GM.

Max. towing capacity based on 2 on board (300lbs.) Tongue weight (10%-12% of trailer weight) is figured in and doesn't need to be added. Yes extra passengers and cargo must be subtracted. Also why I added "Best to check first though".

Rick

Hey there, Did you happen to purchase that 15 footer with the 40Hp that was on Kajiji last week ??? Looked like a nice little rig for the money....

If so... great deal.... congrats....

Tiz

yup, I got that one.

I pull stuff with my mini van all the time haha and it does surprisingly well!!!!! i take that thing through hell and back and its a champ, but the rads starting to leak :D. i've takin that thing up steep loose gravel hills with rocks everywhere (not small ones either), i just choose where i go thats all. and ya i wouldnt tow my boat with a smaller car like that i would deffinately use your truck! oh and did i meantion i do alot of exploring with my van in the bush of sault ste. mare?..... i know what it can handle, lol.

Both my vehicle manuals disagree with your figures. One Ford and one GM.

Max. towing capacity based on 2 on board (300lbs.) Tongue weight (10%-12% of trailer weight) is figured in and doesn't need to be added. Yes extra passengers and cargo must be subtracted. Also why I added "Best to check first though".

Rick

:thumbsup_anim: That's why I said usually, Fords & GMs are ...unusual :rolleyes:

Fisherman: I did the math based on your formula and it just didn't work out. Use the example of a max. towed rating of 1,500lbs.

Allow one 150lb driver only.

Assume no other passengers or cargo.

Still allowed 1,500lbs.

Next subtract tongue weight assuming proper tongue weight -150lbs.

Only 1,350lbs left available.

Under your formula you couldn't reach max tow rating ever unless the driver weighed nothing.

When max tow rating is even higher the tongue weight alone would make it impossible even without a driver.

I also urge anyone towing to check there owners manual and do the math them self.

When even approaching the max consider this is based on normal roads, not off road or extremely hilly roads.

Also ensure your vehicle is in top working order including steering & suspension, transmission, engine, tires and brakes.

Rick

Edited by Woodsman

In your opinion why do Mfg`ers put a 1000 lb tow capcity on cars?? I don`t think they just pulled that number out of their arse!!

Maybe I should sell my tow vehicle and tow with my Buick Allure going up a hill may be a little tough but down hill should be a breeze I could slipper into neutral and save tons on gas.

Of course they didn't, who is arguing that? The OP stated 1500lbs, his rig apparently weighs in at 1200lbs.

Do us a favour and sell the truck and tow with the Buick, let us know how you make out. Also, I'm sure you know already but you'll save more gas if you stay IN gear going downhill then you would by using neutral :)

Like I said, I find the whole 'if you don't have a truck you shouldn't tow' attitude.. Definitely good for a few laughs.

Lot of good points brought up here....My past experience is based more on the braking aspect after all else is said...In poor weather conditions you may have trouble stopping in your Jetta without being pushed by the boat. Sure you can do it but its just to much of a risk....

Be Safe....